What’s your quarantine process?

reefrun

I’m QT’ing fish for the first time and finding it super stressful! For those of you who quarantine, I’d love to hear your process 🤔

There are so many approaches to this, and so many conflicting opinions… here’s what I landed on, which is a modified Hybrid TTM

Day 1 –   Fish is placed in initial QT tank 

Day 2

Day 3 

Day 4 Safety Stop dips  (45 minute Formalin bath, 45 min Methylene Blue), then transfer the fish to a new tank.

Day 5 - prazipro 

Day 6 - 25% water change 24+ hrs after Prazi dose (if fish look stressed)

Day 7 –   Transfer the fish to a new tank.

Day 8 

Day 9

Day 10   – Safety Stop dips (45 minute Formalin bath, 45 min Methylene Blue), then transfer the fish to a new tank.

Day 11 

Day 12 -Prazipro 

Day 13 – Transfer the fish to a new tank (at least 24 hrs after prazi dose).. if fish are stressed do 25% water change and transfer to main tank on day 14 Or more if needed

Obviously in observing every day and will add treatment or length of QT if needed 

I start  fish + inverts in an established tank with: rotating rock and algae for cover + expendable dither fish to see social interactions + live food. 

Easier to make them feel at ease and eat which can be the hardest part. If it passes initial observation it will move to another holding tank to begin a modified TTM. (Prazi, methyl, formalin, metro, erythro, hyposalinity, diatom filter, copper).

quarantine for fish takes me 45-90 days. Inverts take 20 - 75 days.

My lowest survival rates tend to come from uronema. 

1 hour ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

I start  fish + inverts in an established tank with: rotating rock and algae for cover + expendable dither fish to see social interactions + live food. 

Easier to make them feel at ease and eat which can be the hardest part. If it passes initial observation it will move to another holding tank to begin a modified TTM. (Prazi, methyl, formalin, metro, erythro, hyposalinity, diatom filter, copper).

quarantine for fish takes me 45-90 days. Inverts take 20 - 75 days.

My lowest survival rates tend to come from uronema. 

Wow, I’ve never seen uronema in person…. I guess I should mention i only buy fish I see eating before buying and I’m running 1.020 for salinity 

Youre much more diligent than me! Thanks for sharing 

Well I had 2 tangs in QTand one  suddenly died during the 1st prazipro treatment.. as if it wasn’t stressful doing this already! But the other fish only has one more day and is looking great, and eating even better 🤞

This QT process rough.. hopefully it gets easier with time.

Ok I finally made it to the end of QT and unfortunately I lost one of my 2 dream fish.. the orange shoulder. Good news is the large blonde naso made it through and is now in the DT and my yellow tang doesn’t seem to intimidate him.. I’m gonna call it a win and hope it continues this good luck ❤️

IMG_2924.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, reefrun said:

Ok I finally made it to the end of QT and unfortunately I lost one of my 2 dream fish.. the orange shoulder. Good news is the large blonde naso made it through and is now in the DT and my yellow tang doesn’t seem to intimidate him.. I’m gonna call it a win and hope it continues this good luck ❤️

I love my blond naso, glad yours made it through.   Sorry your orange shoulder didn't make it.    They're beautiful fish. 

9 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

I love my blond naso, glad yours made it through.   Sorry your orange shoulder didn't make it.    They're beautiful fish. 

I love mine too! He’s such a fatty and already king of the tank.. the other tangs are following him around like the pied piper lol

1 hour ago, reefrun said:

I love mine too! He’s such a fatty and already king of the tank.. the other tangs are following him around like the pied piper lol

My naso is like the big leader of the tank.  But my Chevron Tang acts like the boss.   I've kept 4-5 Chevrons over the years, and this one is the most bossy I've ever had.  He's fully matured almost looks black from his dark coloring.

for reference, from live aquaria.com

image.png