Tank drilling question

Saltfishlover

So I've drilled several tanks in the past, but whenever I drill the bottom it develops a leak then cracks.   Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I have had zero issues drilling sides and bottoms of various tanks IE 10, 20, 50 gallons.  

Does anyone have advice or comments that could resolve the issues?

They didn't shatter.  They actually seemed to have been drilled well.  Once I added the bulkhead and water it first leaked then cracked.  Non have lasted more than three days.

Is it possible that the weight of the water could cause the bottom glass to crack?

Edited by Saltfishlover

it depends on the tank size. Larger tanks usual have thicker bottom panes so structurally its possible to drill bottoms if not tempered.  I would keep 1-40gallons strictly to side/front panel drilling. Otherwise you'll run into structurally stressed cracks. Unless you get a perfect drill,which is almost impossible. 

20 hours ago, Saltfishlover said:

OK. Thanks. Makes sense. I've just seen so many 10g bottom drilled.  I just could never get it right. 

Well its definitely possible.  You just have to make a clean drill. Reinforce that weak spot with maybe a crossbeam of glass or acrylic.  But at that point,might aswell get a bigger tank. You can do it with acrylic tanks with next to zero problems because it's structurally stronger and 1 piece. Rather then glass being held together with sealant which is made to flex.

• Like 1