Unhappy acros

On 8/9/2023 at 6:21 PM, Jeff.Tichenor said:

This Myagi tort continued to decline since my first post. I'll keep an eye on it post treatment. A couple other small colonies RTN'd as well before treatment. 20230809_151841.jpg

When a coral is that far gone, it is sometimes a good idea to pull the whole thing. You can always get another piece of Myagi to replace it. I think that reducing the disease load in the tank helps in recovery, even if you are dosing OA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff.Tichenor said:

Well, the saga continues.. 

While inspecting the corals tonight, I noticed what looks like red bugs on my smooth skin acros.  I just sent an order to chewy for some Interceptor. 

image.jpeg

Those look like white bugs. I don't know much about them except that they should be wiped out by interceptor. If you can get the stuff without prazi, that is better.

• Like 1

I agree that they look like white parasitic copepods. Red bugs are tegastes acroporanus. Unsure if the white or black bugs have been identified. 

Milybemycin oxime (Interceptor), Ivermectin (Iverhart), and Lufenuron (Setinel) will do the trick. All will be harmful to anything that molts. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The STN continues....

I wasn't able to get my hands on Interceptor but I don't think bugs are the issue. The only coral I've been able to see bugs on is the one in the pic and it is not showing signs of stress. 

My other Acro colonies that were not showing signs of stress are now starting to STN from the base as well as tips - just like the other colonies did over the past several months. The Oxolinic Acid treatment didn't seem help much.

Onto something stronger.. I've decided to try treating with Cipro at .125mg / L based on Eli's write up on Reef2. The first dose will be tonight. 🤞

14 hours ago, Jeff.Tichenor said:

The STN continues....

Onto something stronger.. I've decided to try treating with Cipro at .125mg / L based on Eli's write up on Reef2. The first dose will be tonight. 🤞

Keep us up to date.   2021 was a tough year for me.   Completely destabilized the tank, killed "everything" ... twice.  Huge Cyano outbreaks... twice.   Dinos...  still partially with me, but under control.   And then became an aptasia farm... fought that.   

I feel for you.   Pick paths to stabilize.   (BTW, I really like the Dick Mac's handbook for treating Dino's.  It had a wholistic mentallity to it.  Get chemistry under control, get bacteria/biology under control, Nutrient levels under control, test so you know where you're at...)    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

Have you done a water change recently? I would try a large water change and then follow up with a ICP Mass Spec from Oceamo.

If you are doing the cipro treatment, perhaps do this after the last Cipro dose.

I did two 20% water changes 4 days apart after the OA treatment as well as restarted carbon in the reactor. 

After reading Michael Paletta's article on ReefBuilders for Managing Tissue Necrosis, I decided to up my dosage from the 7.5ml strength (Eli's recommendation for BJD) to something more inline with Paletta's for Arcobacter. I'm now dosing 500mg / 160 gallons (or 50ml).

It may also be worth noting that I have shut off the carbon reactor, UV, and ozone. I am only running fleece roller, skimmer and algae scrubber for filtration during this treatment. 

1 hour ago, Jeff.Tichenor said:

After reading Michael Paletta's article on ReefBuilders for Managing Tissue Necrosis, I decided to up my dosage from the 7.5ml strength (Eli's recommendation for BJD) to something more inline with Paletta's for Arcobacter. I'm now dosing 500mg / 160 gallons (or 50ml).

It may also be worth noting that I have shut off the carbon reactor, UV, and ozone. I am only running fleece roller, skimmer and algae scrubber for filtration during this treatment. 

Be careful, as Paletta had to fight a dino outbreak after using his high dose.

• Like 1

Just a thought.

Possibly consider carbon dosing to promote growth of bacteria during this time. Using vodka, vinegar, or sugar  will promote NO3/PO4 reducing bacteria which are beneficial but not needed for this. Focus on something with carbohydrates such as molasses or sweet potato. The reason for blackstrap is that not every organism is capable of processing it so that helps narrow down what can use it in aquaria.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7241270/#:~:text=Biofloc has probiotic bacteria that,media 19%2C 21%2C 30.

Bacteria that consume organic matter and bind to aggregate would be ideal. Organic matter is rich in all sorts of nutrients (aminos, proteins) formed by coral mucus + aggregate making it easy to use. It is used by all sorts of bacteria but the variance depends on how they can assimilate it. 

Your sand bed is host to most of the organic matter and bacteria strains in your aquaria.

Photosynthetic activity in a sand bed can match your live rock easily. Looks can be quite decieving. 

SPS coral are known bacteriovores with some less likely to focus on actively suspension feeding and more by assimilation. this means they are more to take in pelagic bacteria. 

Cutting off the food source in your sand bed by promoting another bacteria whether it be beneficial or neutral would be a better alternative. Acrobacter enjoys proteins plant/animal proteins but isn't that capable of breaking down complex chains. 

Gram negative bacteria tend to be hard to replace after antibiotic treatments. 

Bacteria Floc Method:

-1/2 cup carbon source (carbohydrate heavy, minimize sulphur)

-15 cups hot water

-5 tbsp of reef salt

- 1/2 cup PNSB can be used to seed an inital culture for mixed result. Not viable for future batches. 

Mix in 1 gallon container. Affix bubbler the same way as phytoplankton and place under a strong light. 

Incubation takes 20 - 40 days. 

Max strength between 30 - 45 days

1mL per 50gallons. 

*do not use yeast for any reason or you will feed nuisances*

*export of organics achieved by water changes + skimmer. 

• Like 2