Anyone using light diffusers with led lights?

islandVib3s

I'm working on my 65 build and was thinking about adding a light diffuser panel for my 300w viparspectra 300w.whats your experience with it good/bad.would you just get a panel the size of the fixture or the tank in whole? I'm in the process of making the lids and have the tank half full as its still getting modifications. THANK IN ADVANCE!!20210830_124125.jpg20210830_124537.jpg

I have used one before,  but not for this light.  I didn't like the output and no longer use one.  I also run 2 vipraspectras on a 90 gallon.  I removed the lenses and run them at 80% blues 1% white.  Whites only on for 3 hours.   Very happy with spread without lenses.   Apparently you can buy better 90° and 120° lenses for them, but I have not. 

I keep softies,  LPS, some sps.  

• Thanks 1

I am trying out the new Neptune Sky with diffusers.  So far so good, but beware of the blinding side light.  I am not sure if diffusers on a VivarSpectra would do the same or not, probably depending on the diffuser material?

The Triton tank lights and Phillips also use diffusers I believe.  The big sell I guess is the light mixing and no disco, better coral lighting from all angles.

Jury is out for me, just chatting what (little) I know about them!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TheClark said:

I am trying out the new Neptune Sky with diffusers.  So far so good, but beware of the blinding side light.  I am not sure if diffusers on a VivarSpectra would do the same or not, probably depending on the diffuser material?

The Triton tank lights and Phillips also use diffusers I believe.  The big sell I guess is the light mixing and no disco, better coral lighting from all angles.

Jury is out for me, just chatting what (little) I know about them!

Were you able to measure the par and spectrum? Viparspectra doesn't have diffusers but ivwas going to just buy a diffuser panel from homedepot.i also have a canopy so I probably wouldn't see it. Hmm maybe ill just make one and test later after I sign up for the club par meter

48 minutes ago, islandVib3s said:

Were you able to measure the par and spectrum? Viparspectra doesn't have diffusers but ivwas going to just buy a diffuser panel from homedepot.i also have a canopy so I probably wouldn't see it. Hmm maybe ill just make one and test later after I sign up for the club par meter

Yes!  I did measure the par but did not record it.  Purpose was to ease the coral into the new light from the previous Ocean Revive / Custom Blue Channel. 

This is an odd setup though, it is an 8' long 12" deep frag tank, lighting half the tank.  I can get par values for ya but take it with a grain of salt.  Lights off til tomorrow after lunch :)

I don't have a spectrometer but here is a screenshot of what I am running according to fusion:

image.png

This is the "Neptune Sky Spectrum", I don't have a full spectrum chart though...

It seems like there really is no with/without diffuser option on the sky, so I also cannot compare par.  Although I do hear that PAR is a trade off when running diffusers.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Yes!  I did measure the par but did not record it.  Purpose was to ease the coral into the new light from the previous Ocean Revive / Custom Blue Channel. 

This is an odd setup though, it is an 8' long 12" deep frag tank, lighting half the tank.  I can get par values for ya but take it with a grain of salt.  Lights off til tomorrow after lunch :)

I don't have a spectrometer but here is a screenshot of what I am running according to fusion:

image.png

This is the "Neptune Sky Spectrum", I don't have a full spectrum chart though...

It seems like there really is no with/without diffuser option on the sky, so I also cannot compare par.  Although I do hear that PAR is a trade off when running diffusers.

Yea from what I remember from brs if I remember correctly it lessens par but gives a more even spectrum so less hot spots hmmmm.i appreciate that info 🤙

• Like 1

They claim with the Phillips technology, no loss of par, interesting.  And even with a reduced par, acros grow better with diffused light than focused.

FWIW... interesting!

PAR Uniformity of a Flat Light Field – Philips’ patented light mixing technique used in the SKY LED is incredibly effective at creating a very uniform field of light both in terms of color mixing and lighting intensity. There is no question that having a more diffused and even distribution of light with light rays hitting our three dimensional corals from every direction will result in better growth, especially in densely branching colonies such as AcroporaSeriatopora, and many species of light hungry SPS corals. 

For years LED light makers boasted about peak PAR numbers by concentrating the light given off by LEDs through the use of secondary lenses that beam light mostly downwards. Over the years we’ve learned that an Acro will grow much better in a diffused light field of 200 umols/m2/s coming from every direction than it will under highly directional light with a PAR value of 400 umols/m2/s so we really need to take this into consideration when evaluating PAR values of the SKY LED and comparing these to other fixtures. 

neptune-systems-sky-led-7.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheClark said:

They claim with the Phillips technology, no loss of par, interesting.  And even with a reduced par, acros grow better with diffused light than focused.

FWIW... interesting!

PAR Uniformity of a Flat Light Field – Philips’ patented light mixing technique used in the SKY LED is incredibly effective at creating a very uniform field of light both in terms of color mixing and lighting intensity. There is no question that having a more diffused and even distribution of light with light rays hitting our three dimensional corals from every direction will result in better growth, especially in densely branching colonies such as AcroporaSeriatopora, and many species of light hungry SPS corals. 

For years LED light makers boasted about peak PAR numbers by concentrating the light given off by LEDs through the use of secondary lenses that beam light mostly downwards. Over the years we’ve learned that an Acro will grow much better in a diffused light field of 200 umols/m2/s coming from every direction than it will under highly directional light with a PAR value of 400 umols/m2/s so we really need to take this into consideration when evaluating PAR values of the SKY LED and comparing these to other fixtures. 

neptune-systems-sky-led-7.jpg

Awesome! I'll make a diffuser then forsure lol just waiting for this build to stabilize and ph to build up before I add in the acros! I cant wait! I just have some hardy sps/lps in there atm.20210902_145518.jpg

• Like 1