What's the PNW's most desired coral genus?

OregonGrownReef

I'd love to know what kind of corals you guys love the most. I'm curious if there's a trend due to geography as well. What's that one coral that always catches your eye and will always have a spot (or multiple) in your tank? For me, it's acropora (cliche I'm sure). I love all of my LPS, softies, and various other sps, but acros will always have a special place in my tanks. The color varieties are awesome, but the growth structures are what catches my eye first. A tank filled with sps isn't noticed first for it's rainbow color strains from afar, but the varying growth patterns coupled with their colors. It's when you get close when they show off their glow. "Oooo that green one is cool. So is that orange one! But look at the red streaks in that blue one with yellow polyps!" That's what makes them worth it for me. I can't grow them worth a darn, but I'll always try!

Bonus points for anyone who lists their favorite species within their favorite genus. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

I have to say I love euphyllia, elegance 1st,torch 2nd,frogspawn 3rd. But im just now dabbling with sps and its growing on me lol. Also love colorful zoas. They're just so easy to care for lol20210809_162526.jpg

Good choice! There's nothing quite like a big beautiful elegance coral. There are some real showstoppers out there too. It's too a shame they're so finicky when it comes to fragging. 

6 hours ago, CoralReefTankers said:

Xenia for sure! Followed by GSP! 🤣

Okay for real, it's probably Zoas. So many colors and so versatile in everything from a pico tank to a giant mixed reef!

Not my tank pics, but wishes and dreams!

maxresdefault.jpg

f1bd9661499439d6c7897409cd8a88d0--saltwater-tank-saltwater-aquarium.jpg

zoagarden2.jpg

Zoas are some of the easiest coral to grow. They're so adaptive to different levels of light and will grow fill in a barren tank in a year or less. There really isn't any other coral with as much color variation. Good choice! 

Edited by OregonGrownReef

4 hours ago, OregonGrownReef said:

Good choice! There's nothing quite like a big beautiful elegance coral. There are some real showstoppers out there too. It's too a shame they're so finicky when it comes to fragging. 

Yea its pretty crazy how huge they're. The skeleton is about 1.5 x 2.5-3 in but when it opens up its 300-400% its size of the skeleton. Yea km scared to frag it because its still a small skeleton, I know it has multiple mouths but idk if I want to risk it.

• Like 1