Calcium reactor

Parzifal

Alrighty. It’s time to get a calcium reactor.  

as I plan on eventually growing lots of rocks I need one capable of supporting a heavily stocked very large system.  For safety sake let’s say 1000 gallons.  

anyone here have experience with large system calcium reactors? Any advice or recommendations?

im looking at the SRO 5000D right now.  Seems dual chambers allow for better results.

Hi, @Parzifal!  That is the CR I have on my 600 gallon system.  Seems to work fine.  Once all the media on the left are depleted, the right side is worthless.  I'm not great with equipment and I have a love-hate relationship with my CR in particular.  When it is dialed it, there is nothing better.  My levels stay stable and it's worry-free.  But when something goes off, ugh!  It takes days of fiddling with it to get the right combo of CO2 and effluent rate.

To lessen the hassle, it helps to have a good regulator.  I have a fancy-schmancy one--I'll take a pic in a bit and add it here (done).  Also, a flow meter on the effluent tube makes it easier to dial it in to exactly the right rate.  I use this one:  Dwyer Mini-Master Flowmeter, MMA-36, 4% Accuracy of Full Scale, 10-150 cc/min Water: Science Lab Flowmeters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

You're welcome to stop by anytime if you want to look at things first-hand.  Good luck!

20210615_185349.jpg

• Like 1

Honestly, I rarely check any levels other than salinity after my weekly water changes and alkalinity daily.  Yes, daily.  The tank has been set up for more than five years now, so it's pretty dialed in.  If alk is good and corals are growing, I don't sweat the rest.  I'll check calcium and nitrates every few months, if that.  Magnesium and phosphates even less often than that.  I've done a Triton every one to two years.

2 hours ago, Gil&Fin said:

Honestly, I rarely check any levels other than salinity after my weekly water changes and alkalinity daily.  Yes, daily.  The tank has been set up for more than five years now, so it's pretty dialed in.  If alk is good and corals are growing, I don't sweat the rest.  I'll check calcium and nitrates every few months, if that.  Magnesium and phosphates even less often than that.  I've done a Triton every one to two years.

I'd love to connect a Trident to your Apex to monitor your tank for a few days so all of us would know your magic numbers that grow such amazing corals!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I'd love to connect a Trident to your Apex to monitor your tank for a few days so all of us would know your magic numbers that grow such amazing corals!

I know how much Holly loves tech on her tank so I'm sure this idea will go over well :thumbs:

• Haha 2