Rusty hardware on CaRx- should I be concerned?

Cobalt

My koralin reactor that I bought second hand (so it’s not new) has SS screws that hold the top and bottom on. The hardware looked fine when I installed it. But it’s rusting now after a couple months and starting to cause concern. There are screws on the bottom, but need to check if they are rusting as fast as the ones on top that are pictured here. I think out of the water where there is o2 and humidity might cause rust to grow faster than underwater? Or could this be low quality stainless? Never seen rust like this before.

edit: somehow fat fingered the dog into the post. I guess I’ll leave that 😂

4EB7A06C-3FEA-4992-B132-91D05D706E42.jpeg

9C470464-2B18-44AD-8F60-ED7A7B9B198B.jpeg

Edited by Cobalt
  • Haha 1

Yeah that’s not good.  Not much in this industry has exposed SS or much of any other metal on equipment that sits inside any part of an aquarium for sadly this reason.  

I’d take em out, measure them for length width and threading (Home Depot and Lowe’s have measurement plates in the hardware aisle you can use for free).  Then I’d suggest getting some nylon screws of the same dimensions and replacing the metal ones completely.   

if you want to go the real expensive route you can find titanium screws,  but only crazy people who do things like trying to grow rocks would do something so ridiculous.  Titanium won’t rust in saltwater environments. They talk about that in the documentary “Deep Blue Sea” which came out in the 90’s.   Very educational, I’d recommend watching it several times to soak up all the great accurate data they present!

great looking happy pup!

Edited by Parzifal
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, replace them.   Start by looking for Stainless 316   (SS316)   This is the softest of stainless, but the most corrosion resistant.  You don't care how "hard" the steel is, it's going into acrylic.   I've actually had good luck finding them on either amazon or ebay.

What you eventually use doesn't HAVE to be 316.   it's just one of the best.    you'll find 306, 308 ...    they're still SS, if thats what you find - use them.

• Thanks 1