How close can corals be?

Saltfishlover

So im  about to put some frags on my tank. I've had them for a month on a rack.  Got a couple chalices, scans, blastos, and favia.  I want to place them where they can grow but also touch as the get bigger.  What corals really.need to be solo and way is not a big deal if they are close?

17 minutes ago, Saltfishlover said:

So im  about to put some frags on my tank. I've had them for a month on a rack.  Got a couple chalices, scans, blastos, and favia.  I want to place them where they can grow but also touch as the get bigger.  What corals really.need to be solo and way is not a big deal if they are close?

You can typically group the same species together like acan lords (not echinatas) and blastos are similar enough 

Be carful with Favias and chalices as some can have sweepers that go pretty far . Some chalices that are similar like bubble gum monsters and oregon mummy eye can group together. I also find I can have montis right next to each other. 

Like Zoolander hinted at its kind of a complex question. Of course most zoas you can put right next to each other with no issue.

3 minutes ago, Saltfishlover said:

What's the best placement for a chalice and scans? I see them on the bottomed of a lot of tanks. I'm trying to get these all placed to fill in a 90 gal.  Don't really want everything on the bottom.  I guess I can not glue the plugs and go from there 

Depends on what your par is. They usually like lower lighting particularly chalices. 

Some corals will grow faster than others, and a lot of times it's difficult to predict which ones will take off while others grow slowly.  As others mentioned above, beware of corals with long sweeper tentacles which can reach 5 to 10 inches.

I quickly populated my 4 foot tank with over 100 corals in a 1 year period.  I placed most of them about 2"-4" apart, but realized about a year later that I didn't leave enough room for growth, and a lot of them took over.

Here's the tank in Dec 2018:
IMG_4969.jpg

and here it was in Feb 2020, just 14 months later:
IMG_8152.jpg

• Like 1