Nano reefer back in the hobby after 10 years

scubaethan

Hey PNW reefers!

I just joined because I'm getting back in the hobby after about 10 years. I had a 12g cube in college before I moved across the country to Portland. I've been wanting to get another tank and now that I have more time during pandemic, why not start now! Plus, we all need a relaxing tank to look at in my house.

I'm in the market for a 20-30ish gallon setup. In college all my stuff was cheap and DIY. Now I'm looking at the super nice systems such as Waterbox or Red Sea. I'm interested in AIO tanks, pre-plumbed used tanks, or something in between. I want it to be longer than it is wide, aka not a cube, but those seems more popular these days. I could be persuaded if someone has good reasons of why to get a cube vs long.

My how the technology has changed in a decade! LED lights controlled by your phone app?! I can't wait to play with that! But I have noticed that so many photos these days are super blue and saturated. I'm more into natural looking light. Are people just going overboard with the blue for fade/fun or is there new research about blue spectrum being beneficial for coral?

Welcome back Scubaethan,

I'm in the same boat just getting back into the hobby again. You could look into the Fluval 32.5 https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/fluval-saltwater-flex-32-5-gallon-aquarium-black/

I was looking at the 13.5 but i decided to go big or go home. By what i've read on the their 13.5 model they seem like a great nano tank on paper never used one myself but it is up to you.

Happy reefing.

Dan

Welcome back, I just started a 20g a few months ago after being out of the game since 2005!

Good luck with finding a system, there are tons of options out there you will be amazed with how automated things are these days!

I'll be following this thread too.  I am wanting to start a new small tank as well and it is interesting to see what other people are thinking.

I'm looking at a cube tank and interested in the lighting choices as well.

Do you know if the Portland water requires a RO or RO/DI make up water filtration?   I am not sure how good the tap water is for aquariums in Portland.

• Like 1

Awesome! I think I've settled on the Nuvo 30g long. I love the shallow, long dimensions. I could call it Ethan's Nano Pano lol. I used to have a cube and just want a different look. But people do awesome aquascaping in cubes.

It's my understanding that all tap water should be filtered because even if its good water like Portland, there are still chemicals you don't want in your tank. Now if the question is RO/DI vs jist DI, I'm not sure.

I look forward to following y'all along too! I might not start for another couple of months due to helping some family move. But it's actually good to force me to slow down to plan more ha ha. Plus, in a couple months there will start being holiday sales [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hey PNW reefers!
I just joined because I'm getting back in the hobby after about 10 years. I had a 12g cube in college before I moved across the country to Portland. I've been wanting to get another tank and now that I have more time during pandemic, why not start now! Plus, we all need a relaxing tank to look at in my house.
I'm in the market for a 20-30ish gallon setup. In college all my stuff was cheap and DIY. Now I'm looking at the super nice systems such as Waterbox or Red Sea. I'm interested in AIO tanks, pre-plumbed used tanks, or something in between. I want it to be longer than it is wide, aka not a cube, but those seems more popular these days. I could be persuaded if someone has good reasons of why to get a cube vs long.
My how the technology has changed in a decade! LED lights controlled by your phone app?! I can't wait to play with that! But I have noticed that so many photos these days are super blue and saturated. I'm more into natural looking light. Are people just going overboard with the blue for fade/fun or is there new research about blue spectrum being beneficial for coral?
There's definitely a push for people to make their photos look as extreme as possible. Personally, I'm not a fan. There's a lot of research about coral response and coloration. Way too much to try and just explain, but overall the blue spectrum is preferred. How blue one should go is still up for debate and kind of depends on what your goals are as far as growth and coloration.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk