Time to Give Another Fish the “Rockmover” Title

LadAShark

When we talk rockmover, we generally first think of the Dragon Wrasse, which itself is also colloquially know as the rockmover wrasse. It is known to move frags around if for some reason kept in a reef.

However, I have long since discovered that a fish I own personally is also a rockmover. My Indian Triggerfish. It’s a long story, but I had originally purchased the Indian trigger as a Hawaiian black triggerfish from “Fishy Business Aquatics.” They had incredibly low prices, and really I should have paid attention to their name and lived by the “too good to be true rule.” Needless to say, the Indian Trigger, which turned out to be the only wrong fish they sent, was also the only one who survived the apparent cyanide fishing method they used to catch the 6 other fish that came with it. 

Depressing stuff aside, this fish has always had a lot of personality, and I had suspected for over a year that he was relocating my frags (and a ricordea that I had!). Only today have I personally witnessed him doing so. He legitimately picks them up and looks for a place to put them. Right now I think he’s throwing a tantrum because I took a frag away from him and put it back. He spat water out of the tank twice and is trying to tug at my rockwork. 

I put in a lot of scrap small chunks of dry rock to try to act as a decoy for now now and he’s pretty ticked off at that for sure. 

He’s caused me a lot of trouble before this as well. He likes to dig under rocks and he’s given me a nasty bite before as well. I really don’t know what to do with him. 😅😂 I’m reluctant to get rid of him but I also didn’t expect this much trouble from one fish.

Have any of you had such a trouble maker? Any ideas as well?

I have a lightning maroon clownfish I’ve had for 3 1/2 years now and she is the devil... already ate one of my black cardinals and chews on my yellow tangs fins and will also pick up my frags and throw them all the way across the tank. I also put in some little Tonga branches and she will straight up pick them up and move them as well. Also will stir up sand with her tail all over corals if you feed her to late... seems like a lot of trouble for a fish but i really don’t want to give her up because she is beautiful 🤷🏻‍♂️

32 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

My diamond goby was annoyed at a 2” sand conch blocking the opening to his burrow, so he picked it up and spit it out about a foot away. Pretty hilarious to watch. 🤣

Oh man my trigger was trying to figure out how to pick up a half buried conch just yesterday. I was worried he wanted to eat it or something but given the context of him moving the frags later on I think it was just trying to move the conch. 

45 minutes ago, Lazyreefer said:

... but i really don’t want to give her up because she is beautiful 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, I originally didn’t want this Trigger but now it’s such a cool looking fish and has so much personality that I really don’t want to get rid of him 

p.s: I keep calling my trigger a “he” but I really am not 100% certain. I have heard however that for most species that such territory building behavior is indicative that it is male, except in crosshatch and yellow margin triggerfishes wherein territorial females exist too.

53 minutes ago, Lazyreefer said:

I have a lightning maroon clownfish I’ve had for 3 1/2 years now and she is the devil... already ate one of my black cardinals and chews on my yellow tangs fins and will also pick up my frags and throw them all the way across the tank. I also put in some little Tonga branches and she will straight up pick them up and move them as well. Also will stir up sand with her tail all over corals if you feed her to late... seems like a lot of trouble for a fish but i really don’t want to give her up because she is beautiful 🤷🏻‍♂️

*violently scratches lightning maroon clown off of future stocking list*

🙁

• Haha 1