Ant known troubles with Octopus pumps?

huskerduck

I bought a Kalk reator and a Calcium reactor 4 months ago, I cant remember the name of the company but its by or in Keizer and has a white oval label with a blue Fish like design. Both have Octopus pumps that appear to not work or make a horrendeous noise if they do. Today I notice they just get hot, really hot, but no movement. Is this normal for this product and if so can you swap that brand with a better brand? 4 Months and both are shot??? Both the same brand?? Pretty crappy if you ask me for the prices they charge for these things

Those do sound like Pacific Coast Imports products. Depending on the model of calcium reactor they had some very poor designs in the past models. Even though the whole reactor is full of water, they cavitate and run dry. This causes them to heat up and it in turn will damage the pump.

Give the guys at PCI a call, or take it back to the place you bought it, either should take care of it for you.

www.pacificcoastimports.com

octopus pumps on PCI CA reactors, suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to submerge the whole thing in water and let it run and get all the air out and even then that does not work! worst design ever! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I went through two pumps with them and then finally took the reactor back, because it would not work at all!!!!!!!

octopus pumps on PCI CA reactors' date=' suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to submerge the whole thing in water and let it run and get all the air out and even then that does not work! worst design ever! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I went through two pumps with them and then finally took the reactor back, because it would not work at all!!!!!!![/quote']Wonderful(scratch)

Like I have time to deal with this every couple months

There have been a few problems with these pumps on certain devices(like the rps skimmers) where the pump would build a static bubble around the venturi/pump head after a power outage, but these have been few. There may seem like many due to the great number of these units sold and in use in our area. The fix is usually just replacing the impellar which is simple. The pumps on the ca and kalk reactors are in harsh environments and slight user error can cause the bushing inside the magnet to ride unevenly on the shaft, which quickly will wear the bushing "out-of-round". Again, the fix is usually as simple as a new impellar and care to reduce the solids going through the pump head. Pleasantly working with PCI will most likely result in solution of your problems.

As for some of the other feedback you have been given, I can only suggest that you not be overly concerned by their inflammatory advice, as it might be more a feature of the author than the subject. Ryan

There have been a few problems with these pumps on certain devices(like the rps skimmers) where the pump would build a static bubble around the venturi/pump head after a power outage, but these have been few. There may seem like many due to the great number of these units sold and in use in our area. The fix is usually just replacing the impellar which is simple. The pumps on the ca and kalk reactors are in harsh environments and slight user error can cause the bushing inside the magnet to ride unevenly on the shaft, which quickly will wear the bushing "out-of-round". Again, the fix is usually as simple as a new impellar and care to reduce the solids going through the pump head. Pleasantly working with PCI will most likely result in solution of your problems.

As for some of the other feedback you have been given, I can only suggest that you not be overly concerned by their inflammatory advice, as it might be more a feature of the author than the subject. Ryan

Sorry Ryan, but since you work for the company now...that makes you are a very biased person....your a great and nice guy, but this is biased...you can take a shot at me if you would like (i come to this conclusion, as Joel and I are the only ones who responded, I really doubt you are talking about Joel), but just say my name...not sure how my post is inflammatory, it was my experience w/ their product and it was a bad one, not sure how that is considered flaming? Especially when Joel who sells their products claims their CA reactor design is poor, so I am not just the lone wolf here ...I had an Octopus skimmer and it worked very well...but their CA reactor design is stupid...submerging the entire thing in water and letting it run? That is stupid and a PIA every time you need to add media...I will only buy CA reactors that use ehiem pumps, because of my experience with a PCI reactor. I spoke with Jason (super nice guy and very helpful) when I was having my problems with the ca reactor, he is the one who gave me the ok to bring it back after the second pump over heated and broke...I also have a PCI chiller, that I really like...this is not a bash on PCI as a company, just their pumps on the CA reactors

Guest Mbeef61

i have the double recirc model skimmer and the calcium reactor the big one....everything works absolultely great....have all three pumps running 24 hours a day for over a year....none are submerged and all are external..and gone throught plenty of outages...reactor was super super easy to setup and costs the same as a used GEO reactor. and IF anything did go wrong then you just call and have it replaced PCI is super friendly.

besides i had my dart go out on me aftrer a year but you sure as heck wouldnt hear me badmouthing it...i jsut called and had it replaced....i 100% are with ryan....i bet its 90% user error and the company PCI isnt stupid and knows that and they STILL replace it....just find out for yourself that PCI is GREAT.

i also agree this whole area is biased due to increased sales in the area.

i have the double recirc model skimmer and the calcium reactor the big one....everything works absolultely great....have all three pumps running 24 hours a day for over a year....none are submerged and all are external..and gone throught plenty of outages...reactor was super super easy to setup and costs the same as a used GEO reactor. and IF anything did go wrong then you just call and have it replaced PCI is super friendly.

besides i had my dart go out on me aftrer a year but you sure as heck wouldnt hear me badmouthing it...i jsut called and had it replaced....i 100% are with ryan....i bet its 90% user error and the company PCI isnt stupid and knows that and they STILL replace it....just find out for yourself that PCI is GREAT.

Now, I am stupid...I had Jason on the phone with me, while I was setting up the CA reactor, and I did everything correct, according to the person who works there and still had issues, stupid? maybe so...Funny thing is that others in this thread have talked about their poor design on their CA reactors, so all who have had problems must be stupid?

Actually My Cal reactor one works kind of, when its not making weird noises and you have to force the water through wide open, then shut it off, tap it with a sledge hammer, break out the welder and..........., well maybe its not that bad but its very picky on the number of hours it wants to work if at all, not sure how you can tell if its working or not anyway other than its a little warm and vibrating, you cant tell if the media inside is getting cycled or not.

The Kalkwasser reactor pump may need to be tore out, unhooked, drained, tore apart, fiddled with and it may work but is there another option to stir the Kalk without a pump in that reactor, obviously the pump is in a harsh enviornment but my wife is left alone with this system for months on end, thats why I bought this stuff so she doesnt have to labor over keeping corals alive, which she has had to do anyway with multiple phone calls regarding all my products I bought. It stresses her out but she maintains and has only had most of my stonies die for unknown reasons. When I returned after 4 months, the Protien skimmer Pump was on the fritz with rust showing under the cover, it works but rusty water is being introduced via the GenX2400. My 4100 GenX is gutless and barely runs my chiller and Calcium Reactor with 0 head to push, its a trickle that comes on strong about every 10 minutes? My GenX HP external pump has been very reliable for 5 months now ( very impressed ) hope it continues or that will be a chore for her to deal with.

I just want to know whats the BEST equiptment to own that is maintainence free for the longest period of time, I understand pumps running all day ( not the kalk pump, twice a day for 10 minutes) but Im willing to pay for stainless steel or aluminum "hop ups" for these products if they do exsist.

The real garbage in Reefing that I have found is the wave maker/lighting timer power strips, I have tried the digital ones, the dial types the high dollar and cheap ones and they are all crapping out on me

Actually My Cal reactor one works kind of, when its not making weird noises and you have to force the water through wide open, then shut it off, tap it with a sledge hammer, break out the welder and..........., well maybe its not that bad but its very picky on the number of hours it wants to work if at all, not sure how you can tell if its working or not anyway other than its a little warm and vibrating, you cant tell if the media inside is getting cycled or not.

The Kalkwasser reactor pump may need to be tore out, unhooked, drained, tore apart, fiddled with and it may work but is there another option to stir the Kalk without a pump in that reactor, obviously the pump is in a harsh enviornment but my wife is left alone with this system for months on end, thats why I bought this stuff so she doesnt have to labor over keeping corals alive, which she has had to do anyway with multiple phone calls regarding all my products I bought. It stresses her out but she maintains and has only had most of my stonies die for unknown reasons. When I returned after 4 months, the Protien skimmer Pump was on the fritz with rust showing under the cover, it works but rusty water is being introduced via the GenX2400. My 4100 GenX is gutless and barely runs my chiller and Calcium Reactor with 0 head to push, its a trickle that comes on strong about every 10 minutes? My GenX HP external pump has been very reliable for 5 months now ( very impressed ) hope it continues or that will be a chore for her to deal with.

I just want to know whats the BEST equiptment to own that is maintainence free for the longest period of time, I understand pumps running all day ( not the kalk pump, twice a day for 10 minutes) but Im willing to pay for stainless steel or aluminum "hop ups" for these products if they do exsist.

The real garbage in Reefing that I have found is the wave maker/lighting timer power strips, I have tried the digital ones, the dial types the high dollar and cheap ones and they are all crapping out on me

Like I said, any piece of equipment that has an ehiem pump is always a plus...Like I have said before and learned very well, you get what you pay for this hobby for the most part...I would spend the extra money and get the more expensive stuff, geo, PM, etc.

I'll bite my tongue on this one.

I DO NOT own a PCI reactor. I have worked on them in the past. There's one at SWF that I have REPLACED the pump on 3 times. Due to the pump overheating and locking up.

[language filter] user error! I must not know what I am doing.

In case Mbeef missed it, I'll quote what Brandon and I have said.

Originally Posted by reefgeek84 View Post

this is not a bash on PCI as a company, just their pumps on the CA reactors

Agreed! I have worked on the PCI reactors, and the pumps aren't very durable. Just about everything else from PCI is GREAT!

We aren't bashing the company. Just the POS pumps that are supplied with the reactor.

Guest Mbeef61

dang...looks like i just have seen the lucky 10-15 running long term...you ever think of just puttin an eheim pump on it instead of replacing it multiple times...cmon i know everyone on here loves DIY. still would be cheaper...hahaha

my tank speaks for itself

dang...looks like i just have seen the lucky 10-15 running long term...you ever think of just puttin an eheim pump on it instead of replacing it multiple times...cmon i know everyone on here loves DIY. still would be cheaper...hahaha

my tank speaks for itself

If it were mine, I would replace it with an eheim. These were replaced under warranty.

Who said anything about your tank?