Is there a fish trap around that I can borrow?

Higher Thinking

Hey friends, does someone have a fish trap I can borrow? I need to catch a pesky fish that is eating all my SPS, specifically some beautiful milli colonies. I've tried the bottle method, the fish has zero cares for that thing. I think my DIY trap building skills are subpar. Any help would be appreciated! I live in Scappoose, but work out in deep NE Portland, almost Gresham. Let me know, thanks in advanced!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a trap that you are welcome to use. I was given this trap and have never used it, but figured it might come in handy some day. I drive through Scappoose every day so I could drop it off. I don't live far if you want to swing be too.

6cb1269a6d59806859c73fb29d51debd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a trap that you are welcome to use. I was given this trap and have never used it, but figured it might come in handy some day. I drive through Scappoose every day so I could drop it off. I don't live far if you want to swing be too.

6cb1269a6d59806859c73fb29d51debd.jpg

Yes!! Thank you! PM sent.

Hey Andrew - who went rogue on you?  Good luck trapping it!
Well I've got the world's largest infestation of majanos. I never really addressed them when they were far and few between and now they are absolutely everywhere! They are killing everything. LPS, SPS, zoas. Nothing is safe except the anemone.

I've tried CBB (wiped out every trace of aiptasia), filefish, and now I've introduced a Klein's butterfly. I've read multiple accounts of them being able to get rid of majanos. However, he seems to only like to eat my SPS. The crazy part is even when I catch him I'm most likely going to just try another one. I have to do something to get rid of these things. Otherwise I'm just going to tear down my tank and start from scratch. I guess that's a good time for an upgrade, right?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

Well I've got the world's largest infestation of majanos. I never really addressed them when they were far and few between and now they are absolutely everywhere! They are killing everything. LPS, SPS, zoas. Nothing is safe except the anemone.

I've tried CBB (wiped out every trace of aiptasia), filefish, and now I've introduced a Klein's butterfly. I've read multiple accounts of them being able to get rid of majanos. However, he seems to only like to eat my SPS. The crazy part is even when I catch him I'm most likely going to just try another one. I have to do something to get rid of these things. Otherwise I'm just going to tear down my tank and start from scratch. I guess that's a good time for an upgrade, right?

Oh man - sorry to hear about the majanos.  They are the reason I tore down my last tank... just couldn’t get rid of them. I did not try a klein’s butterfly however - hope it works for you even if the first one was a dud.  Good luck!

1 minute ago, Higher Thinking said:

I'm so far beyond that. There's thousands... I would need some Dr. Evil, mega sized laser at this point. I simply did not respect the end game of these little dudes.

Sadly this sounds a lot like my fate. Just couldn’t stay on top of them and then BOOM!  Were killing everything. So sorry man. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Took a solid hour, but I had success! Just had to get the big ole vlamingi out of the way! Although he actually helped by kicking up the food so it started pouring out the entrance. That's what enticed the butterfly to dive in. 0f763f395aff96cf1330e75bf8174040.jpg374dc2664c1b4f9a76b39664ee04fb4c.jpg

Congrats!  Hopefully the next one works out.  If it does, hang onto it so you can rent it out the the rest of the club as needed - could be worth it's weight in gold!

19 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Took a solid hour, but I had success! Just had to get the big ole vlamingi out of the way! Although he actually helped by kicking up the food so it started pouring out the entrance. That's what enticed the butterfly to dive in. 0f763f395aff96cf1330e75bf8174040.jpg374dc2664c1b4f9a76b39664ee04fb4c.jpg

That Vlamingi Tang cracks me up,  I can't believe he went in that trap lol!  Glad to see you caught your fish. 

That Vlamingi Tang cracks me up,  I can't believe he went in that trap lol!  Glad to see you caught your fish. 
That dude is so boisterous! Everyday I hold cubes of frozen in front of the power head with tweezers and it just repeatedly charges the cube biting at it. I have to move nonstop to make sure I get food in the tank and not just for his fat face.

It’s always the fish you don’t want to trap who has no problem going into the trap haha

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 9:33 PM, Higher Thinking said:

Roy had a Pearl scale Buttlerfly that ate majanos after he finished off all of his majonas. He caught him in a fish trap using majanos. He has taken all of them in my tank. I must of had hundreds. He hasn't bothered my acros not sure about the tentacles on my fungia but I will take that over my majano infestation. Not sure all the Pearl scales do this maybe we were lucky. 

• Like 1

Roy had a Pearl scale Buttlerfly that ate majanos after he finished off all of his majonas. He caught him in a fish trap using majanos. He has taken all of them in my tank. I must of had hundreds. He hasn't bothered my acros not sure about the tentacles on my fungia but I will take that over my majano infestation. Not sure all the Pearl scales do this maybe we were lucky. 
Dang... Might try one of those next time. Guess it's time to hit Jeff back up. Unless you're trying to lend yours out???

1 hour ago, Gumby said:

I am sorry Andrew. I shouldn't be posting when I am tired. It was aiptasia the pearl scale likes not majanos.