Bluecheese's In wall 270G Display

bluecheese

I am just about to make the plunge and move from my 200G to a bigger tank. I just outgrew that tank. Looks very likely that it will be a 270G Acrylic 72" long 24" tall and 36" wide. But I might have to make this a 30" wide given the tight fit in the back?

For now I am at the planning stage since i'd like an in wall system. The main reasons for the inwall are (and I am sure I am teh only one who would come up with these reasons (laugh)):

1) a wife very sensitive to noise (I mean really sensitive DOH!)

2) A wife very sensitive to that deadly UV light creeping out of the back (very very sensitive (threaten))

3) We survived an accidental flood (friend taking care of tanks forgot to turn off the DI water while replenishing the topoff tank (wife) Several $$ thousand $$ later) and have remodeled the play room giving space for an in wall project. A new wall will have to be built. I am trying to do this without having to demolish anything.

4) Always wanted an inwall and got inspired by Izzypop's beautiful set-up.

5) I am running out of space in my current tank.

Here is the current idea on paper, it will be a tight squeeze in the back (leaving about 15 inches to navigate) but most maintenance will occur from the sides and under the tank. There is also already a sink with water access on the left side on the little nook.

Since I have never done anything like that I am opened to suggestions in order to make this happening. Several members (reef165 , reefgeek84 , spectra) have already offered advices and help when the time comes. (scary)

Two possibilities to access the tank first one, Door will be on the left

InwallDoorLeft.jpg

or Door on the right (my prefered option since it centers the tank a little more to the left)

InWallDoorRight.jpg

Wow sounds like an interesting plan. I would go with your preferred option w/ door on the right. So when you are in the viewing room your guests won't be asking why is this thing not centered? (nono)And they will expect you to move it like its a piece of furniture.(scary)

Also, consider making it 30" wide and a little taller so you have a few more inches in the back.

But it would depend on what your plans are for drainage, closed loop etc.

If you made it wide you can always route your CL through the sides & returns over the top.

Another thing to really consider is the height of the stand, with a higher height of the stand you will have a lot of real state to work with and access your sump. Viewing wise it would be nice as well if you stand alot while viewing. You don't have to stoop over that much. My stand is 40" high w/ 29" tall tank and it is great viewing and access wise.

just my .2 cents of advice(rock2)

Good luck

Wow sounds like an interesting plan. I would go with your preferred option w/ door on the right. So when you are in the viewing room your guests won't be asking why is this thing not centered? (nono)And they will expect you to move it like its a piece of furniture.(scary)

Also, consider making it 30" wide and a little taller so you have a few more inches in the back.

But it would depend on what your plans are for drainage, closed loop etc.

If you made it wide you can always route your CL through the sides & returns over the top.

Another thing to really consider is the height of the stand, with a higher height of the stand you will have a lot of real state to work with and access your sump. Viewing wise it would be nice as well if you stand alot while viewing. You don't have to stoop over that much. My stand is 40" high w/ 29" tall tank and it is great viewing and access wise.

just my .2 cents of advice(rock2)

Good luck

Thanks Jay, those are great suggestions.

yes I agree with the door, the only reason for putting it on the left would have been to access directly the water control without having to go around tehe tank. But I like the tank more in the middle.

Agree also with the shorter for more access in the back. One of the tank I am looking at (used) has the dimensions above so if I go for that one I won't have the choice. But I am still debating. My current tank is 30 high and I like that a lot but it takes more lights to get to the bottom.

I agre with the stand height although I am planning on sitting down mostly and also this is a good height for my kids to look inside :D

Could you make it extend through the wall by a few inches, kinda like a "pop-out" tank? You would get a little more viewing area in front and a little more room in back. 'Course you'd have to have a little room up front and permission from your Wife, but might work?

James

Those are all interesting ideas.

the wall to the left goes outside unfortunately.

the pop up idea is intriguing. Do you happen to have a link to one of those tanks? It would definitely help to not be squeezed in the back! Of course the alternative would be to just get James to build it for me with the right dimensions...for that space.

Those are all interesting ideas.

the wall to the left goes outside unfortunately.

the pop up idea is intriguing. Do you happen to have a link to one of those tanks? It would definitely help to not be squeezed in the back! Of course the alternative would be to just get James to build it for me with the right dimensions...for that space.

Hmmm... I like both the pop-out and two-sided ideas but I guess the latter is off the table. If you have the space and the tank dimensions work out, you could extend it out into the room say a foot or so and get a nice partial 3 sided viewing - just box in the stand and "canopy" to make the wall surfaces smooth. I little extra carpentry but could be a cool effect and get you the extra room. Of course... you could just let James build you one...:D

I do like the pop-out but it will take some carpentry and finding a way to do this while matching the rest of the decor may be a bit of a challenge. Since the wall has not yet been built, might make this easier as it's better to plan and build rather than trying to shoehorn a retro build.

The single viewing pane is the one real down side of in-wall tanks, so getting some extra viewing area would be cool if possible and the family agrees.

HTH,

James

So this will be a very naive question, but which one would be the way to go?

1- build the wall then make the window inside and finally slide the tank inside the frame? or

2- Build the wall with the window frame and then slide the tank in? or

3- Build the wall around the tank?

I have heard mostly people talking about 1 and 2. Is 3 just not a good idea/difficult/too risky/messy not practical (all of the above)?

The family is debating the options, with a push for this taking as little time from me as possible..(wife) .

A pop up could be pretty cool with the right carpentry indeed.

I would go with #2, but just have the rough lumber exposed without the final finished window frame. Then slide the tank in place & do you final finishing w/ moulding etc. This way you can get a good accurate cuts on moulding & get a good seal to the frame & tank.

This is how i did mine & it was pretty easy and quick, I also did not ruin/waste any mouldings.

• 3 weeks later...
No Rob....It's time for him to go to IKEA(laugh)...inside joke(naughty)

What a great idea rofl

Do they have ready to assemble pop up kits? I am so there!! (clap)

So I am finishing the plumbing today and hopefully will be able to get this project back on track. After reef165 and Robz stopped by this Sunday and gave me their input, I decided to move the tank further inside the room and closer to a bearing wall. This will create a larger back room to work in. The door will still be on the right side and the tank will be enclosed with wood the same way that James suggested it on Paul's tank above.

So I will build cabinet doors (anyone want to help me with that? (naughty)) within the wood panels above and below the tank, I was looking at wood at HD but could only find Oak. Rob you suggested Hemlock, where can I find that around town? Parr Lumber?

• 2 months later...

After finally selling the 200G and the 240 G on the same day, the 270G has been slowly coming to life .

First there was the washing and scrubbing..

IMG_5033-1.jpg[/img]

Then the scraping..sanding and polishing...

IMG_5035-1.jpg

And the painting....

IMG_5039-1.jpg

The preparation of the room..(retiling after the flood)

IMG_5003-1.jpg

positioning the Tank

TankStand.jpg

Finishing the plumbing for the Close loop.

Plumbing1.jpg

And then water was added and guess what...