Live amphipods & mysis for sale

EMeyer

I've been maintaining cultures of live mysis and amphipods for some time now to feed cuttlefish hatchlings. After my last batch of hatchlings didnt do well, I have decided to take a break from cuttlefish for a while... maintaining 4+ different varieties of live plankton was a little bit of a pain.

So -- I have for sale or trade two lots of live food

1. ~50-100 live mysis shrimp. 

2. ~1000 live amphipods

I'd sell either lot for $20 or trade for corals (2 or more frags per lot). Can meet anywhere between Albany and Eugene.

I wish I was closer to grab those amphipods. I am trying to raise my own but I am a bit confused by the process. Can you share any website links or tips on How I can make it work? Like where did you buy your starter colony of amphipods or eggs?

I have bought amphipods from both aquariumdepot and royalreefs. I was equally happy with both sources.

My rule is only buy when theyre buy one get one free, both sites do this periodically. I buy them in lots of 1000 and keep them in plastic jars with airstones, near my phytoplankton cultures. I feed them crumbled up dried nori, and change water once a week. They last as long as I choose to keep taking care of them and remain too numerous to count. 

When I've tried starting cultures with the small 15-30 packs that some places sell, they never grew into the large colonies I want as a food supply. But both of the above sources sell big fat bags of 1000 amphipods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I might take the amphipods. But I have a question.
If I put them in my sump refugium, do you think they might survive? I have a big chunk of live rock in there and a good amount of chaeto.
Essentially would love to see them maintain their populations down there.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I have a healthy population in my refugium, they do seem to survive well there. 
Also, I have had some mysid shrimp in there for a while now (no idea where they came from though). So would amphipods and mysid shrimp live together? Plus how fast of a flow should the refugium area have for amphipods? I have a pretty high flow at the moment, which I can change if needed.

No idea if they can live together long term, I keep them separately. My refugium also has high flow (I respectfully disagree with the widespread notions that low turnover through the sump is somehow desirable). I guess I have around 500 gph through the refugium. It also has a ton of macro which I'm sure leaves lots of low flow areas. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, freddyk said:

I wish I was closer to grab those amphipods. I am trying to raise my own but I am a bit confused by the process. Can you share any website links or tips on How I can make it work? Like where did you buy your starter colony of amphipods or eggs?

I found this link with lots of good info on exactly how to raise copepods which may transfer over to amphipods.

https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c90/raising-live-rotifers-copepods-c199.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2018 at 8:18 AM, EMeyer said:

I've been maintaining cultures of live mysis and amphipods for some time now to feed cuttlefish hatchlings. After my last batch of hatchlings didnt do well, I have decided to take a break from cuttlefish for a while... maintaining 4+ different varieties of live plankton was a little bit of a pain.

So -- I have for sale or trade two lots of live food

1. ~50-100 live mysis shrimp. 

2. ~1000 live amphipods

I'd sell either lot for $20 or trade for corals (2 or more frags per lot). Can meet anywhere between Albany and Eugene.

Hey Eli,

If Nakul doesn't take them, I'll snag the amphipods from you. I could give you 20 bucks or some more coral frags.

Andy

• Like 1

No idea if they can live together long term, I keep them separately. My refugium also has high flow (I respectfully disagree with the widespread notions that low turnover through the sump is somehow desirable). I guess I have around 500 gph through the refugium. It also has a ton of macro which I'm sure leaves lots of low flow areas. 
Okay cool! Well I will give it a try, why the hell not? Haha

I can take them :)

Hey Eli,
If Nakul doesn't take them, I'll snag the amphipods from you. I could give you 20 bucks or some more coral frags.
Andy
Hey Andy,

I just saw you are interested too. We can split it half way if you want to [emoji3]

Thanks for your interest and patience with my slow replies. Looks like I have a buyer on PMs interested in both pods and mysis now so wont be able to sell the pods alone.

Sorry for stringing you guys along -- I am just ready to be done taking care of these mysis so was eager to sell them, and sold them to the first who messaged me for both.  

If you are interested in amphipods I can only repeat my recommendation for aquariumdepot and royalreefs. Buying the 1000 packs on BOGO sales is what has worked well for me, and if you split it between two itd come out pretty cheap. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest and patience with my slow replies. Looks like I have a buyer on PMs interested in both pods and mysis now so wont be able to sell the pods alone.
Sorry for stringing you guys along -- I am just ready to be done taking care of these mysis so was eager to sell them, and sold them to the first who messaged me for both.  
If you are interested in amphipods I can only repeat my recommendation for aquariumdepot and royalreefs. Buying the 1000 packs on BOGO sales is what has worked well for me, and if you split it between two itd come out pretty cheap. 
Thanks for letting us know! :D
It's always good when someone wants to sweep everything at once :)

And thank you for the information! I will definitely keep my eyes open for the bogo deals.