What skimmers have you tried? Whats the best?

Jay

I am looking to replace the skimmer I have as I am not happy with it. Whats the best to get? I need a sit in the sump type skimmer. I am looking for one that I can adjust to get very wet or dry skimmate. I have a fairly high bioload with fish and inverts and I feed my tank and corals well so I need one that will really pull out the crud. What type do you use? What types have you tried and what was the result?

I know this is probably a topic that has been posted and posted but I would like a current one made with any newer model skimmers. Also who sells them locally?

Thanks

Jay

Personally I prefer a good Needle or mesh wheel skimmer over a Becket style, I find that I have more control of the wet/dry skimming and lower power usage. As for one brand over another I can't help much as I have been building my own for quite a while. But I think you will not go wrong with a good brand name one, it will come down to how much are you willing to spend on one.

I have tried a few types of skimmers. My favorite are the recirculating skimmers. The most effective for the $'s are the Pacific Coast Imports brand. I have tried various sizes and models with great succes in all of them. I have had less success and control over skimming with becket or injection style skimmers, but this could be because I have only used a few. Deltec makes one sweet recirculating skimmer and they offer many models.

Garrett

have to agree with garrett on this one. cant beat a good recirc. IMO. i have a rps1000 on my 100 gal system and love it. cant really control the skimmate, it does it for you. if you want more, i would suggest a mesh mod or an air pump on the intake of the venturi. how big of a system will this be on?

No Beckett is an injector type, basically it uses a high pressure/flow pump to push the water into an air injector.

The venturi, recirc, needle/mesh wheel are the same type of skimmer, they use a pump that pulls air into it through a venturi and the needle or mesh type impeller chops up the air into very small bubbles.

Just two different methods of getting the bubbles into the skimmer reaction chamber.

Jay come check out my dual beckett if you want to see how they work to help you decide. When they are clean and adjusted right with the correct pump they are impressive IMO but so are the needle wheels. If you've never seen one come check it out and we can do that frag thing if you still want.

Really.....I have my skimmer plumbed from my return pump with a manifold with ball valves so I can adjust the flow for more to the skimmer or more return. Not sure what pump it is....I think its a genex. Its blue and sits outside my sump.

Jay

Izzypop I sent you a PM to schedual a visit soon. Thanks again

Really.....I have my skimmer plumbed from my return pump with a manifold with ball valves so I can adjust the flow for more to the skimmer or more return. Not sure what pump it is....I think its a genex. Its blue and sits outside my sump.

Jay

Izzypop I sent you a PM to schedual a visit soon. Thanks again

Call me when you do so we can bug him/check out the tank at the same time... I'm flirting on how to hook up 2 20 gals together for sump/refug/baffles/skimmer. You guys like dark beer?