DisturbedReefer's 30g Oceanic Cube

DisturbedReefer

Hello everyone, I am new here, but not to the hobby. I started way back in 1980 and had FW Lava rock tanks until 1984 when I went into the Army. I got back into the hobby a little over 4 yrs ago, wow, lots had changed. I have gone from a 55g hex, to a 135g cube, then downgraded to an Aquapod 24 for a short while, and now the 30g Oceanic Cube. These little cubes are great and I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting a smaller tank. I would like to share my build of this tank...

I drilled the Oceanic myself since the local glass shop wanted between 35-70 to drill one freaking hole. So, I have pictures of the drilling process, took me quite some time since my Dwalt drill is about 12 yrs old and the battery is on its last leg, and the carbide bit. In hind sight I would recommend a diamond bit.

DSC_5410Medium.jpg

DSC_5412Medium.jpg

DSC_5415Medium.jpg

DSC_5418Medium.jpg

DSC_5420Medium.jpg

DSC_5423Medium.jpg

DSC_5426Medium.jpg

DSC_5430Medium.jpg

Next step was the stand. I snagged the plans from RC and got to work, just got the framing and top/bottom done...enough to get the tank on it and get to work, still not sure what I will skin it with...maybe something exotic.

DSC_5444Medium.jpg

DSC_5446Medium.jpg

DSC_5449Large.jpg

As you can see in this shot I also painted the back, and got started on some of the plumbing as well...only the return line for now.

Sump is an Oceanic sump with a Deltec TS 1250 skimmer and an Eheim 1262 for a return pump. I will be using some of the equipment from my old aquapod, like the chiller, and the lights,these are only temp.

DSC_5451Medium.jpg

DSC_5455Medium.jpg

DSC_5457Large.jpg

I made the stand 25"x25"x36" so I could eventually put a 2x2 cube on this stand, also made it easy to put a sump under there.

I sold my Aquapod to a local reefer and he let me use his light until the big Barrier Reef Grand Opening when I will get my lighting. Here are a few shots of what I put together that night to get the light set up, with a few modifications it should do just fine for the Luminarc III mini that I'm picking up from Barrier Reef.

DSC_5470Large.jpg

DSC_5472Medium.jpg

DSC_5476Large.jpg

On the first day of Barrier Reef's Grand Opening sale I picked up a few things (clap) Few corals (have pix) and a few fish (no pix yet). Fish: bicolored blenny, and a pair of sixline wrasses...very nice. So now I have a pair of Harlequine Shrimp and a pair of Sixline Wrasses. I also made a swap on my skimmer, so I have the Tunze skimmer, very quiet...I like it nice and quiet in my home office.

DSC_5664Large.jpg

DSC_5653Medium.jpg

DSC_5656Medium.jpg

DSC_5658Large.jpg

And a few shots of the sump area...CaRx and newest skimmer

DSC_5665Large.jpg

DSC_5666Large.jpg

DSC_5667Large.jpg

It is a great looking tank...that overflow is still one of the coolest ideas I have seen in a very long time...You really like to have you tanks full to the top of water, that would make me nervous, LOL...I just worry a little to much with stuff like that, lol....Can not wait to see what you do with the starfire cube....

Sweet!

How is that overflow working out?

Noisy?

I'm getting a 60G cube soon. It comes with an overflow box and I'm trying to decide if I want to drill it or just use that overflow box.

Do you have an ATO going to keep the water level steady for the overflow, or does it work with a range of levels?

Sweet!

Noisy?

I'm getting a 60G cube soon. It comes with an overflow box and I'm trying to decide if I want to drill it or just use that overflow box.

Do you have an ATO going to keep the water level steady for the overflow, or does it work with a range of levels?

Since he has a sump, it should not effect the the overflow, that water level should drop in the sump...

It is a great looking tank...that overflow is still one of the coolest ideas I have seen in a very long time...You really like to have you tanks full to the top of water' date=' that would make me nervous, LOL...I just worry a little to much with stuff like that, lol....Can not wait to see what you do with the starfire cube....[/quote']

The picture is a little deceiving, it still has some ways to go before even touching the inner lip. Maybe I'm just fooling myself, and living a little too dangerous(nono) So my showings this mornng were a bust, but were going back out at 3pm for more...daddy needs a new car(laugh) I won't be able to get started on the starfire build until next month (when the other half takes a trip) but I'm sure it will be sweet(clap)Now I just need to figure out where to keep it between the 22nd and when she leaves(whistle)

Sweet!

Noisy?

As Brandon said, the sump is where the fluctuation happens. The tank remains a constant level due to the height of the overflow. HTH

Too true! ;)

I was thinking of my 20H, which has a HOB fuge.

The cube will replace that one.

Still would like to find out about the noise level of this overflow.

It was very noisy at first, so one day out of desperation I dropped a bulkhead screen that I had laying around in ...cut the noise down to very tolerable levels.

Extremely nice setup! I really like it. Put together well and looks like for the long run. Keep up the god work and keep posting pic!

Thanks,

Garrett

Thank you for your comments! It was set up for the long run...well up until reefgeek84's tank went back on the market(laugh) This was set up with the intention of making it a 2x2 starfire cube...so the tank I will be getting from Brandon will be perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
Nice!

I have the same tank. I love what you've done with yours. I will have to update my thread with some pics.

I like the overflow too.

Thanks! I will keep my eye out for your updates. I picked up the 2x2 starfire cube from Reefgeek today. I will be keeping this tank but will put it away for now...on to the 2x2:D