New Fish room with inwall setup.

H20cooled

Well I know that I have been MIA for a while now; been very busy. We sold our house and moved into a new house (new to us at least) and I've been busy with projects around here. Before I moved I had a pretty major tank crash in my 130G tank and lost about 60% of my corals, so I tore the tank down and I've had a friend watching what survived. He had been able to get everything else going and they seem to be making a great recovery.

So, after the move I had to figure out what to do with my tank, I've never been happy with the lack of room and difficulty with maintanence in this big of a tank in just the normal stand/canopy setup. So with the new house I have a great place to put the tank into the wall with a fish room.

I don't have a great picture of the area before I tore it apart but it was a small family room with a 4th bedroom butting up to the unfinished laundry room. We decided to remove the 4th bedroom and build the inwall/fish room next to the laundry room and open the family area up. This seemed like an easy thing to do only to find out that its a load baring wall; so a lot of time and $$$$ later we finally have the wall gone and a nice beam in its place. Everything else has worked out great so far.

Details on the fish room. I have the fish room all sheet rocked with 1/2" green board over 1 layer of 1/2" sound board, a 50 amp sub panel with a 220 plug for my MH lighting and a dedicated circuit for everything. My chiller will be outside under my deck in a little protected area, I have a dedicated circuit for it outside and 1 1/2" pipe ran outside for the chiller loop (you can see the pipes next to the hot water heater). The hot water heater will soon be replaced with a tankless unit and protected in a cabinet. The room will be all tiled with 2" white tiles and an ocean blue grout used. I have a drain in the floor and a utility sink will be install once the sheetrock in finished. The sheetrock guy will be here soon to finish the outside of the room and the inside, I hung all of the sheetrock in the room to save $$$, it was a pain but I'm glad I did it. I also have an 150 cfm fantech fan that will be installed into the room and it will exhaust outside, fresh air will be draw from inside the house. I know that I will probably need to add a room fan to move the air around some once everything is done.

The tank details are; 130G Starphire glass (4'x2'x26" tall), custom metal stand coated with Line-X, 40G and 80G sumps, 1/2hp Tradewind chiller, custom skimmer, CA reactor, & Nitrate reactor (built by me). Other details still have to be worked out.

Here are the pics so far.

Room Before

FishRoomprogress001.jpg

Construction and wiring

FishRoomprogress006.jpg

FishRoomprogress005.jpg

FishRoomprogress003.jpg

Room outside

FishRoomprogress031.jpg

FishRoomprogress019.jpg

FishRoomprogress018.jpg

Room inside

FishRoomprogress016.jpg

FishRoomprogress015.jpg

FishRoomprogress014.jpg

FishRoomprogress029.jpg

FishRoomprogress026.jpg

FishRoomprogress013.jpg

I will post more pics as things get done.

Later,

Rich

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, since this is close to what I am planning I have a few questions.

1) what are you using to cool the fish room or are you going with a chiller

2) What are you doing for humidity control? An inline fan on the roof on a rheostat?

3) did you add a floor drain to the tank are?

I'm just curious and would love to hear comments on details, hoping to get more ideas on my build, I don't use a chiller since I run t-5 and a AC / heat pump unit does all the chilling/heating, I was thinking I would put a new 2 ton in the fish room and that would keep that room fully temperature controlled, due to there low cost I love using them (mini split systems)

Anyhow fill me in, I'm dying ... LOL

Alright, since this is close to what I am planning I have a few questions.

1) what are you using to cool the fish room or are you going with a chiller

2) What are you doing for humidity control? An inline fan on the roof on a rheostat?

3) did you add a floor drain to the tank are?

I'm just curious and would love to hear comments on details, hoping to get more ideas on my build, I don't use a chiller since I run t-5 and a AC / heat pump unit does all the chilling/heating, I was thinking I would put a new 2 ton in the fish room and that would keep that room fully temperature controlled, due to there low cost I love using them (mini split systems)

Anyhow fill me in, I'm dying ... LOL

1) not going to cool the room, I have a heat pump setup for the rest of the house. I thought about connecting it to the fish room but after some research decided that there was to good of a chance in doing a lot of damage to the system. So I'm using a 1/2 hp inline chiller, it will be installed outside so that the heat from it is outside, also the water lines to the chiller are buried underground so that should help with passive cooling.

2) The tank/fish room is in my basement so there is no way to use a remote fan setup, so I'm using a fantech 200 cfm inline fan mounted in the room to exhaust the air outside, it will draw fresh air from inside the house. I have a humidistat and also the fan is connected to a speed controller, but I'm not sure I'm going to use the humidistat yet. I will most likely just leave the fan on all the time at a lower setting.

3) the room already had a floor drain, so that worked great.

With the setup I have in this room to exhuast the humid air I could also connect a remote A/C unit to it, I'm hoping since the house will stay cool and its in the basement I will not have to much issues with heat. Only time will tell though.

Rich

Glad to see that you did not leave the hobby...Was wondering what happened to you...thought maybe you went away along with a few other people who got fed up with some of the stuff on the board....Your system is looking amazing, I can not wait to see the finished product and of course some more progress pics!

If you decide you need one let me know, I got a great lead on a split AC that works great, I see a few guys on RC using them as chillers on large systems to, just remove the coil and add the ti bars for direct chilling.

As for the fan I would have it on a timer so its on primarily when the lights are on since thats when you get 95% of your evap.

When you get her all done I would love to take a road trip up and check it out, let me know.

If you decide you need one let me know, I got a great lead on a split AC that works great, I see a few guys on RC using them as chillers on large systems to, just remove the coil and add the ti bars for direct chilling.

As for the fan I would have it on a timer so its on primarily when the lights are on since thats when you get 95% of your evap.

When you get her all done I would love to take a road trip up and check it out, let me know.

LOL, will do. I'm hoping to be able to host a meeting sometime when its done.

One question on the AC unit, how far away can you put the main unit? My tank is on the front of my house so I would want something like that on the back or side of the house.

Rich

The line that is PRE charged is 25', but you could go 50' without any issue (but it will need to be charged be a AC tech), farther than that I would talk to a tech and ask from the MFG of the unit. In my line of work we run the refrigerant lines over 100' with no issues, its just a matter of adding more refrigerant and making sure the compressor is big enough.

• 3 weeks later...