Camera talk

The ReefBox

So thinking about getting a real camera to start shooting pics of corals so I can upload into website, facebook and here on the forumn. Would like to know what people are using and what works well. I am not looking to spend a fortune but would like something that works well and a Macro lense is a must I am guessing. Please give me suggestions and feel free to add pictures you have taken with your current set up.

Thanks in advance!

I use a Nikon 3400 with the stock lens (18mm-55mm and 75mm-300mm) But I use extension tubes for macro shots on my 75mm-300mm ($50 on Amazon). No need to buy a $500 lens when the extension tubes work just as well. I also use an Avast Porthole which is a must in my opinion. They work well and I'm very satisfied!

As for how the camera does, I take all of Northwest Aquatics coral photos so check out their website and here are some personal pics I've recently taken. I think the camera takes great pictures personally.

And they aren't the clearest because when I transfer them to my photo via Bluetooth on the camera (super handy) it makes them only 2 megapixels (camera shoots 24 megapixels). When done on the computer they are way better. But being able to just connect your phone via bluetooth for texting photos is so nice.

d2158fc63d95659b9e02ebef5252acf5.jpg51bdd6a140d85017cc7896225d1a5835.jpg32390c9cecde8db282fd91d890964c70.jpg5beeb445bfdb0bf8bedb74d896d8fa4f.jpg87688195aae325e76b7f64317cc08a83.jpgc28cc986a949bc6175c02256931f7c4b.jpg31da58ab3b67ff9ad2f54d55047f89d6.jpga7918748d443ef8e8e2b32e3abc77209.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow Cody those are from an extension lens  not macro?   Any SPS SHOTS?

All extension tube shots. They are awesome! They work similar to how a macro works. Same principles. I don't really keep sps but I have a couple pieces, I'll try tonight. And I'll take a few pics of my equipment.

11 minutes ago, Paratore said:

All extension tube shots. They are awesome! They work similar to how a macro works. Same principles. I don't really keep sps but I have a couple pieces, I'll try tonight. And I'll take a few pics of my equipment.

Thanks Cody   Opening small biz (River City Corals) and need to be able to take decent pics

• Like 2

My suggestion is if you're getting a new camera mainly to take pics of your corals, consider a high end point and shoot and underwater casing.

1) Shooting through glass require lens to be prefect 90deg to prevent optical distortion. Underwater case will allow you to shoot at any angle without distortion and get closer.
2) Point and shoot have smaller sensors than DSLR or mirrorless. This is actually a benefit for taking macro with greater depth of field. Otherwise you'll have to stop down the aperture way down and bump ISO up on DSLR which degrades image quality. Other option is to focus stack but will need to on tripod and minimum subject motion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, danlu_gt said:

My suggestion is if you're getting a new camera mainly to take pics of your corals, consider a high end point and shoot and underwater casing.

1) Shooting through glass require lens to be prefect 90deg to prevent optical distortion. Underwater case will allow you to shoot at any angle without distortion and get closer.
2) Point and shoot have smaller sensors than DSLR or mirrorless. This is actually a benefit for taking macro with greater depth of field. Otherwise you'll have to stop down the aperture way down and bump ISO up on DSLR which degrades image quality. Other option is to focus stack but will need to on tripod and minimum subject motion.

I have a canon g10 with underwater case but not sure i can get that true macro shor i am looking for. Im liking paratores idea to start with a camera body and lense then add a cheap extension tube if i understand it correctly??

• Like 1

I have a canon g10 with underwater case but not sure i can get that true macro shor i am looking for. Im liking paratores idea to start with a camera body and lense then add a cheap extension tube if i understand it correctly??

G10 can focus as close as 1cm but newer camera would have 2x or more megapixels for more details.

There are 2 types of extension tubes. Cheaper type have no electronic pass thru so only manual focus.

52 minutes ago, danlu_gt said:

G10 can focus as close as 1cm but newer camera would have 2x or more megapixels for more details.

There are 2 types of extension tubes. Cheaper type have no electronic pass thru so only manual focus.

Teach me sensei!

Lots of practice and a good lens make good picture

Options are endless to the point that you have to limit / budget yourself.

Knowing what you are trying to accomplish with the camera will dictate what you have to buy.

New camera body being release recently so the previous model will drop in price.

Some people like to shoot video also, most of the new models are capable of doing 4K video

Do I need Lightroom or similar to view the raw data once I have downloaded the images onto my desktop?  

Canon comes with it's own professional raw converter for free, DPP. Nikon basic converter is free but used to charge for the pro version. I don't know if that have changed.

I tried trail version of Lightroom but I like Canon's DPP V4 better and it's free.

Goto dpreview.com for buyer's guide, reviews, and discussion forums.