What happened to this coral?

Flashy Fins

Does this look like a sting from another coral?  Because if not, I believe my mostly reef safe   maybe not reef safe  totally not reef-safe urchin had a Halloween snack 5 months early. 

DSC_8951a.jpg

DSC_8951.jpg

Corals in close proximity are bowerbanki, favia, trumpet, and scoly, so I haven't ruled out a sting. A day ago, I came home to see my urchin close to the lepto and the coral looking like the photos above. Just the day before, the coral looked as healthy as it did when I took this picture:

DSC_8648.jpg

I am especially suspicious of the urchin because I believe he has been snacking on my setosa. I am rigorous with QT, so nudis are highly unlikely. Not to mention, I caught the urchin directly on top of the coral one day, then spotted all this damage when he crawled away:

DSC_8801.jpg

Previously, the coral looked like this:

DSC_7670.jpg

He did eat a tiny setosa piece in QT, so I was not astonished to see this happen. However, now I worry lepto is on his snack list, as well, and I'm certain he is nipping tiny bites from my blue sponge, because I see bits of it in his poop on the other side of the tank. :flamemad:  Damage to the sponge is barely perceivable, but those tiny bites are bound to add up eventually.

I knew this urchin was a big risk, but I told myself it was worth it, because holy crap, would you look at that color?! I have the urchin of all urchins!  Now, I'm not so sure he is worth it. He's been in the tank only a couple of months and has already caused a fair amount of trouble. This is the part of reefing I hate, the fact that not every creature you want is compatible in the same tank. I don't want to part with this guy!  :teardrop:  

I hope you can still do something about it. As long as there's no infection, I think your coral can recover quickly. My cousin used superglue to restore the loose tissue on his coral that was stung by another coral caused by territorial competition. 

21 hours ago, Diana said:

I hope you can still do something about it. As long as there's no infection, I think your coral can recover quickly. My cousin used superglue to restore the loose tissue on his coral that was stung by another coral caused by territorial competition. 

Unfortunately, it's almost entirely melted away since the sting/whatever happened. :sad: