Setting up Calcium Reactor - PH

shaywood

I'm setting up a calcium reactor.  I've got everything going, except the CO2.  The chamber is full of media.  My PH is reading about 9.88, while my tank is at 8.3.  Would this be right.  Would the media increase the PH?

1 hour ago, shaywood said:

I'm setting up a calcium reactor.  I've got everything going, except the CO2.  The chamber is full of media.  My PH is reading about 9.88, while my tank is at 8.3.  Would this be right.  Would the media increase the PH?

Without co2 your ph should br similar to tank ph

1 hour ago, xmas_one said:

It should definitely be higher in the reactor if the co2 is not running. Calcium carbonate is a basic compound.

Same tank water running through reactor with no co2 should be higher? ime prior to opening up the co2 tank and turning on solenoid its been nearly same as tank ph   What in the reactor would change the ph value if the effluent is running and no co2 flowing?

Is there air or water trapped in the reactor? That would be the only reason I've experienced a higher ph would occur. Make sure it is flushed out thoroughly with tank water, by even putting the reactor upside down for a few seconds. Or perhaps the circulation pump isn't strong enough to flush it out.

Once the ph is the same only then turn on the co2.

On 5/13/2017 at 7:09 PM, shaywood said:

I had the CA probe in the tank with my other PH probe and the readings were the same. 

Curious if you tracked down the cause.  Air in the reactor?  BTW, was the feed pump on or was water just 'sitting' in the reactor?

On 5/14/2017 at 9:16 AM, shaywood said:

Did you already find what causes the PH to increase?