Turf algae help

ChrisQ

I need some help with my turf algae, my few turbos and trochus won't touch it.

My Yellow tang and Flame angel pick at it but can never dent it.

I'm not sure what my Po4 is as i have no kit for it at the moment but the No3 is normally around 10 ppm

I run a carbon/gfo reactor but have been lacking at keeping the gfo replaced consistently.

I try and do at least two 40g WC's a month. (140g total water vol)

I'm aware my problem is nutrient export and where those problems might be and would love to get some ideas and opinions of others on how i can fix/improve these areas.

One problem is, i've never managed to get the pest algaes to seed/root in my sump where i want it. Instead it tends to root everywhere else like my overflow box and my tied in frag tray. Everything started working backward basically, even my chaeto stopped growing.

I have been trying to figure out how to get a ATS built and running.

What critter do i need that will eat this stuff? Urchins?

If Urchins, which will be best and where can i get one?

I plan to replace the Flame angel with maybe a two bar rabbit.

Any ideas? If it wasn't for a large bright orange yuma stuck on the tonga i would probably pull all the rock in my display and start over with the little bit that's in my sump, thats my last resort though.

Many many issues but i'll start with this one.

01e66f0addc56064d834fed2a218b6f9939e8c77

012405b156ac4e31a29db93a8b46519d14b374b1

01d1f5d9a2342db3f836dbc4620bf48ed6ec7a4c

0189105a362b8bf565335da31a13e05dd9b37376

01fa5dc7f833c128fcaa48c54ac9831d78a8f14f

You will most likely need an urchin for that but even if you go with the urchins I doubt they will be able to remove ALL of it from the nooks and crannies. This chladophora type turf algae is the devil.. I hate to sound pessimistic but I might look into removing the corals from the rock and starting up with some fresh clean pieces. Some people have had some success with hydrogen peroxide and I have burned out some spots of it with kalkwasser but you gotta catch it early on to use those remedies.

• Like 2

Thanks for the insight bert! I really don't have a problem with rebooting all this rock as it's a fortified mansion for the other serious issue i have which are the acoel flatworm population that i let get to epic portions to the point i'm convinced if i were to dose my tank i would nuke it but that's a whole new post.

I have tried to stay away from trying peroxide, having a cleaner shrimp that's always on me no matter what.

I'm just definitely going to need help removing the yuma. The yuma is the only attached coral besides a small cap i can easily remove.

I've got the same issue. I've got two urchins, ten emerald crabs, me an abalone. Nothing is doing a thing. I have to tear it out by hand where possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear, yeah it's really frustrating, i took a razor blade to a toothbrush and cut the bristles down by half to make it a stiffer scrubber and spent over 2hrs on that piece of tonga just for it to regrow stronger in a couple weeks.

Do you grow macroalgae in the sump?  

Yes, i have some chaeto in there but it's outcompeted