My 110 gallon reef

undrtkr_00

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im still thinking the wooley buger monti is actually hydnophora' date=' from the pics i have seen of it the small domes on the surface are hydnophores. can you get a top down pic of it without its tentacles out?[/quote']

OK, took a little while, but I got some pics of the wooley bugger with polyps retracted.

DSCN2471.jpg

DSCN2470.jpg

DSCN2469.jpg

What do you think, Roy?

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a nice Aquamedic 2x250 DE halide fixture from Newschool a couple of months ago, but it took me a while to scrounge the cash for bulbs and also to figure out how to hang the sucker from my 10' ceilings (no legs on this one and no apparent way to attach some). Anyway, got my Phoenix 14k bulbs last week and finally got it hung up this week. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Here is how the tank looked under my 6 bulb T5 fixture (no color editing but this is pretty much how it looks to my eye):

DSCN2526.jpg

Here is how it looks with the MH bulbs (no color editing, but the photo looks more blue than it does in person):

DSCN2555.jpg

Here is a MH version edited to look more like how I see it:

DSCN2556-1.jpg

So, perhaps a little bit more blue overall, but not a lot different. Actually, after seeing other people's Phoenix 14k tanks, I was expecting more blue. We'll see how that changes after the bulbs burn in for a week or two. I find it interesting that the camera picks up a lot more blue with the MH lights than I can see with my naked eye. I really like the shimmer a lot. Also, I went from about 300 watts of T5's to 500 watts of MH. I have heard that they are roughly the same in efficiency (in terms of light/watt), but I don't have a PAR meter, so I am not sure if the step up in power is exactly equivalent to 200 watts or not. Regardless, I reduced my lighting hours and will step it up each week for the next few weeks. I'm pretty happy with it so far and will be watching closely to see how my corals respond - especially the colors.

Looking good, that is surprising how the camera picks up a lot more blue than the naked eye. I think the Phoenix 14ks are white with a blue tint. That's how I think they appear on my tank.

Did that MH light setup come with T5 or PC bulbs in it too? If it did will you be running them as actinics?