Thinking about going fresh water planted....

matt

I am seriously contemplating on switching to a freshwater planted tank. After my big tank crash last month and now dino's and cyano coming back with a vengeance I just don't know if I want to continue with saltwater. I really like the look of a planted fresh water tank. I don't know what to do......

sent from a Samsung note 4

If you do, you'll probably end up regretting it. And don't forget that nice planted tanks can be a lot of work too.

Take a look at the Dino thread and try some of those things. Don't forget that you recently restarted your tank, so you are bound to go through an ugly phase.

I had a complete tank crash about 14 months ago, and look at the same tank now. You can come back, and, if you are like me, you'll learn enough from the experience so that the revamped system is better than ever.

Good luck!

I've had two crashes in the last ~11 years. One was a tank babysitter not showing up while I was out of town for a couple weeks..... (I mean really? Still pissed about that) Other was a partial crash from equipment failure that I caught early.

Like Jorge said, we learn by making mistakes. I tell my daughter all the time to not be afraid of making mistakes because that's how we get better at things. "Dad, I'm not good at _________ and want to give up".

From my mistakes, I learned that i needed more automation and simpler maintenance methods. Saltwater is a hobby that needs continual research on what others have done to improve their tanks. New tech comes out every year.

Many people have success with an apex/rk and then choose your own adventure on nutrient control. Ats, refugium, DSB, carbon dosing, skimmer, gfo, et cetera. My new build (wip) is reef keeper, ato with built in safety measures, carbon dosing, skimmer, gfo, carbon, dosing alk,calc & mag and a super tricky way to make water changes super simple.

Also if you go freshwater, you will be doing water changes nearly every ten minutes ????

• Like 1

I agree with these guys 100% been through a ton of crap with my tanks. Two tank crashes, AEFW, Dino's, green hair algae, not being able to keep SPS alive, montis eating flatworms, fungus killing my Zoas, you name it and I've probably had it lol. But I've learned so much through all of it. I've thought about throwing in the towel multiple times but you just keep chugging along cuz this hobby is amazing and it's something we all love :)

Talk with LFS guys, chat on here, call people or do whatever you gotta do and learn as much about why your tank is crashing or the Dino's are getting you. I have spent countless hours talking with Garrett and the TPA crew about my tank and what's going on. I'm finally at a good place where I feel like I only need to check on the tank every few days and it will still be perfect! But that's when you know something bad is coming lol [emoji23]

Just keep doing your thing and always learn from the bad things that happen in the reef :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well I'll play the opposition and say that switching your focus isn't the end of the world. I started in freshwater planted and have had the same tank and inhabitants for over 5 years in my 75 planted. However, I don't do much with it except dose fertilizers and feed the fish. I've just switched my focus more heavily towards salt. If you wanted to redirect your focus to only one freshwater tank I don't think that's the end of the world. It will just give you new perceptive and appreciation for both systems and then when/if you switch back, you'll be even more appreciative.

I don't know why someone said you'd be doing constant water changes with a fresh water tank. You can really do as much or as little as you prefer. Especially heavily planted tanks as the system is constantly self filtering. If you already have a calcium reactor you're well on your way to running a pressurized CO2 aquarium. But as Andy said, freshwater planted can be just as involved, depending on what you do with it.

• Like 1

I am seriously contemplating on switching to a freshwater planted tank. After my big tank crash last month and now dino's and cyano coming back with a vengeance I just don't know if I want to continue with saltwater. I really like the look of a planted fresh water tank. I don't know what to do......

sent from a Samsung note 4

I give you a free starter pack when your tank ready for dummy frags ( Vivid rainbow, red planet, green slime with bluetip, red dragon, micro lados).  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...