MACNA 2016 - San Diego or Bust!

Gil&Fin

Guess what time it is! Time to register for the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)! No, this is not a paid advertisement. I had such a great time in Washington DC last year, I thought I'd see if I could talk some of my reefing buddies to go to the event this year!

The conference is September 9-11, 2016 in San Diego. It is three days of wandering the conference center booths (you wouldn't believe all the swag you can acquire), attending speaker presentations from national experts on all sorts of aquarium-related topics, and raffles--more raffles than you could possibly imagine! There is a reception one evening and a dinner the next. You can find out about all the new technology/equipment coming, see amazing displays of fish and coral, and hob-nob with the Big Names in reefing. Here is a link to my thread last year, so you can see what kind of fun there is to be had: http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/35560-macna/

And here is a link to the conference homepage where you can see the event schedule, speakers, etc., and of course register: http://macnaconference.org/2016/

Let's go!

• Like 3

I know that everyone that goes to MACNA will have a great time! It is also a great opportunity to not only meet with vendors and speakers, but also members from other marine aquarium clubs! There also a lot of corals available to purchase at the booths! I have not planned on attending this year's conference, but I encourage everyone to go, if at all possible! The experience will last a lifetime! :thumbs:

I also recommend to anyone wanting to know more about effects of lighting on coral growth and color, PAR, and the like... to attend the presentation by Dana Riddle http://macnaconference.org/2016/speakers/dana-riddle/ . Also, two of out most recent PNWMAS guest speakers, Bob Fenner http://macnaconference.org/2016/speakers/bob-fenner/, and Richard Ross http://macnaconference.org/2016/?p=904 will be there! Two-thirds of the speakers I have not met, so there is always something new for even old reef keepers like me!

For $149.00, it is well worth it! I have always enjoyed the Banquet too, and the presentations given by the guest speakers. There are MASNA discount room rates, and a chance to win a trip to Fiji! I do know that Registration prices tend to increases, as Conference time approaches, so don't wait too long! Also, it is much better to stay at the hotel... reserve a room while there are vacancies!

Like I said, it is well worth the price! :)

• 4 weeks later...

We have a lot in store for everyone at MACNA 2016! If you haven't already registered, please seriously consider it.  I promise you will have an excellent weekend of all things saltwater.  We have over 180 exhibitors, 26 speakers, some excellent entertainment, and a Friday night reception that is going to be out of this world.  The recption will be on the bay in the very cool looking Port Pavillion.  You can dance to Woodie and the Longboards, eat from six of San Diego's finest gourmet food trucks, sample some of San Diego's best craft beers all while enjoying the beautiful view of San Diego Bay.

We only have about 100 full conference passes left and we have just opened up an overflow room block at a neighboring hotel.  We do have rooms still at the Town and Country, but we expect them to be gone in a week or so. 

The current count of fully complete aquarium systems that will be available in the raffle is sitting at 10 and counting.  This will include a fully buffed out Reef Savvy tank, stand, and sump.  We will have quite a few controllers in the raffle as well.  It is going to be awesome!

Seriously consider joining us.  You won't regret it and who knows how long it will be before MACNA returns to the West Coast.  Heck it took us 18 years to get it back from the last time it was out here.  Take advantage of the proximity and cheap travel.

See you in San Diego!!!

• Like 4

Sirena and I booked our flight!! We are going !!! If you are planning on going but are hoping to win the passes in the raffle , go ahead and buy your passes. If you are lucky enough and win Dave will refund your money !!! This looks like a blast and San Diego is a fun city !!! Hope to see others there !!!

• Like 4

Sirena and I booked our flight!! We are going !!! If you are planning on going but are hoping to win the passes in the raffle , go ahead and buy your passes. If you are lucky enough and win Dave will refund your money !!! This looks like a blast and San Diego is a fun city !!! Hope to see others there !!!

AAAAAHHHHHHH [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322] I'm so freaking excited about This trip!!!!! [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3