anyone familiar with stand making?

Cobalt

I will be making a custom stand for my 28g nanocube only because I hate the particle board look of the factory stands.

I was just going to build it out of four peices of 3/4in funiture grade (A-B) or (B-C) plywood with the two front corners mitered at a 45 angle. At the top and bottom I would reinforce with a 4" wide strip of leftover plywood around the inside of the stand to provide a larger footprint for the contact of the top (also 3/4in plywood) and where the stand contacts the floor. No other framing would be involved. I feel this is strong enough as plywood has a high shear and compression strength. any other tips or suggestions? no sump will be in the stand so it will be striaghtforward. I will have enough plywood to double up with top to 1.5in, but that is more for aestheics as the aqaurium foot print and the stand foot print is the same...

Hi Cobalt,

I know zip about making stands, but I got mine at Saltwater Fantaseas. It's made by a local guy out of solid oak. It's very nice and wasn't too expensive either. Mine fits my 24g Aquapod perfectly.

Much less work than DIY and worth checking out, if for nothing more than ideas.

I built one for my sons 29 gallon. I just used some nice 3/4 inch birch that I picked up at Lowes. I think it turned out real good. I kind of built it like one I saw at a Petco or some place like that. Just remember if you are mating wood together use some Gorilla glue it is some real nice stuff and bonds great. Here is a pic you can sort of see it.

If you need a hand let me know and am willing to help if I can.

post-523-141867737201_thumb.jpg

I built one for my sons 29 gallon. I just used some nice 3/4 inch birch that I picked up at Lowes. I think it turned out real good. I kind of built it like one I saw at a Petco or some place like that. Just remember if you are mating wood together use some Gorilla glue it is some real nice stuff and bonds great. Here is a pic you can sort of see it.

If you need a hand let me know and am willing to help if I can.

Very nice work!

I made my 20 gallon stand out of 2X4's, 1/2 inch plywood, and some 1X2 and 1X4 pine for trim.

DSC03009.jpg

DSC03007.jpg

DSC03025.jpg

It is hard to take a decent picture of a black stand. It turned our pretty good. This is the first stand that I have ever made. Rock solid.

Jay

thanks for the tip johny. will have to check it out as I need some salt soon. i noticed on their website they have the 24g stand in natural cherry for $175... beautiful and priced right. i may have to buy one if I fail with the DIY one!

spectra: wow, nice job. I almost bought birch cabinet grade last night but I decided I will be painting mine so I went with 3/4in A-C sanded. I'm not a great carpenter and i know building a stain-grade cabinet is challanging. Does you stand have any internal framing such as 2x3 or 2x4? what size tank is that? 20H?

defigart: I agree, for larger tanks framing is a must. However plywood is very strong except torsionally and bending. when 4 sheets are arranged in a box, the torsional strengh greatly improves.

jay: your design is the first instinct i had, and the extra stength should come in handy during the next earthquake. I just questions myself that it is too much... especially in a small stand where I need maximum space.

No internal framing at all. What I did was made the top and bottom frames then kind of did a dado joint (not a wood worker so not sure) on the sides so they were supported on both the top and bottom. Then glued it all together and nailed it with a finish nailer. Only took about 3 hours to cut everything and get it together. And the tank is a 29 so bigger than yours. So far it has been holding just fine. Anyway like I said if you need any help just let me know.

Thanks for offer spectra. at this point i think i have it under control. I had lowes cut the plywood on their saw. I even returned with simlar pieces screwed together so they would be identical size even if the cut wasn't perfect on. This resulted in a very square frame that I am pleased with. I'll have to use a little bondo over the exposed ends of the plywood to smooth it out. But so far I have assembled the frame and it is strong as an ox. Didn't use any glue but held together with 16gauge finish nails. I added extra bracing in the corners. I'll post a photo tonight. Tonight I fill holes and sand, this weekend I paint. Tank arrives today or monday.

yeah, it's too bad (sad)

i had some on there, but to make a long story short, I would have to cut the opening wider on one side to center the door. then it wouldn't be symmetrical if you needed to switch the door from one side to the other, so you'd be stuck with a left or right swing door.