Leopard puffer....how peaceful are they really?

featherblue

Been doing a revamp on my stocking options without tiny shrimp, and hubby noticed this peaceful puffer, canthigaster leoparda, a leopard puffer. Theyre listed on several info sources as peaceful and reef safe.....anyone have one in reef? How nice of neighbors are they?

We currently have a few small, peaceful fish, tailspot blenny, a firefish, a bengaii, a diamond goby, and a lawnmower blenny. Were going to get a dragonette eventually, but that's the only must have on my fish list. Would this potentially peaceful puffer be a bad tank mate choice?

Edited by featherblue

There was an article in coral magazine about them. They tend to be more agressive than the saddle puffer canthigaster Valentini. I would go with that over the leopard one but even then they are not 100 percent reef safe.i had one develop a fondness for Lps.

Should get along with your other fish, but they will eat inverts like snails, shrimp, and anything that crawls on rocks like amphipods and copepods (which could deprive a dragonet, if the tank is on the smaller side). My valentini is just a baby and already can't keep away from snails. With corals, I believe it depends on the individual fish. Some nip at LPS corals, but not all do. I don't think the risk is anywhere near as great as with dwarf angels, and they are easy fish to remove if you decide it's causing trouble. 

Edited by Flashy Fins

Emerald, love the dedication and agree with your opinion on the puffer. I have one question for you....why are you responding before 5 am?!?!?

Lol because I get up usually between 445 to 5 pm so I can work out in the morning before I have to get to work. ????