Receiving a electrical shock with a American dj powerstrip

ChrisQ

I was just messing around in my sump and noticed i get a pretty good electrical shock when my bare skinned shoulder touched the front panel of the American dj with my finger in the water.

This is definitely not my department, can my fish and corals feel this?

My first thought was to start unplugging things one by one to try and locate the issue, anyone have any info with this?

I don't think they feel it. Usually, you only feel electricity when you are the ground. I don't imagine the fish are grounded in anyway, since the tank is glass. Although, you'll feel it.

I would try to fix the problem. It might be a sign that something is going to burn out.

Youch!

Safety first!  GFCI and ground probe for starters/safety in place?

You can use a voltmeter to measure the charge, one lead to a ground, one lead to your DJ to test if the problem goes away.

Then process of elimination, unplug one thing at a time.

That box should not be energized though, so you may want to swap it out with a regular power strip to troubleshoot.

I cannot remember last time at your place, is your DJ in a place where it can get splashed with saltwater?  That can sure cause allot of electrical problems.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Youch!

Safety first!  GFCI and ground probe for starters/safety in place?

You can use a voltmeter to measure the charge, one lead to a ground, one lead to your DJ to test if the problem goes away.

Then process of elimination, unplug one thing at a time.

That box should not be energized though, so you may want to swap it out with a regular power strip to troubleshoot.

I cannot remember last time at your place, is your DJ in a place where it can get splashed with saltwater?  That can sure cause allot of electrical problems.

Good luck!

Hey Jeremy, i have it plugged into a GFCI, i don't have a ground probe though.

When testing with a volt meter, what do i use for a ground?

The DJ is mounted directly above the sump and below the display though i've never seen a drop of liquid  touch it. Kinda risky but i didn't really have another place for it

With this spaghetti mess, it's looking to be a long night trouble shooting  :tongue:

DSC04302_zpsqorsylcs.jpg

Quick question. Do you feel any shock when you put your hand in the water? I know sometimes I might not feel the electricity through just skin, but if there is a slight wound somewhere I'll feel it. Slightly.

You should be able to use anything that is grounded for the volt-meter. The best ones are metal drain pipes or floor vents, but you might just be able to use the floor depending on the covering. The volt meter should track it down.

Good looking sump area.

Quick question. Do you feel any shock when you put your hand in the water? I know sometimes I might not feel the electricity through just skin, but if there is a slight wound somewhere I'll feel it. Slightly.

You should be able to use anything that is grounded for the volt-meter. The best ones are metal drain pipes or floor vents, but you might just be able to use the floor depending on the covering. The volt meter should track it down.

Good looking sump area.

Yes, i feel quite a good shock a little less intense like you would get it you took your light switch cover off your wall and grabbed the polls, but only if i'm also in contact the the front frame of the DJ

Yeah, that sounds like a grounding issue. Haha.

I was just wondering if it was the American DJ system or something in the water grounding through the American DJ system. Logically, if you touch the American DJ system without the water, you should still get shocked if it is only the American DJ system. Unless you aren't grounded and the aquarium is.

I don't know. Just attempt the volt meter. You'll figure it out.

I've had this same issue before. I actually didn't notice it at first until I touched the tank water with bare feet. For me, it ended up being an issue with grounding. The tank was temporarily set up in my parent's basement and thanks to my step-dad's awesome electrical ability, he built a bunch of outlets without grounding them. Once I ran an extension cord to different outlets, the problem was solved.

You may have a faulty pump or heater leaking stray voltage into the water. As soon as you touch ground (dj power strip) you are completing the circuit.

You also may want to re locate the power strip to a less humid area. It will corrode quickly in that environment.

• Like 1

Ground probe should trip the gfci, then it is a replug things one at a time until it trips again. When it trips you have found your first leak. For me it was an old power head in the sump. Try to keep your hands out for now and keep your shoes on as Andrew and others point out you don't want to be ground and shoes help prevent that some. Let the probe be ground! Assuming your ground is good, harbor freight has outlet checkers that verify proper wiring of an outlet for 5 bucks or so.