Cutting MP40 cord?

The ReefBox

If the plug is ground, which I'm assuming it is, there would be three wires: a copper ground, neutral, and hot. You wouldn't even need to solder them. You could just use wire wing nuts and cover them in electrical tape (last part being optional).

One issue to consider is if it's less than a year old, you'll likely be losing your warranty.

Edited by Higher Thinking

Open up your controller and take a look at the connection at the circut board.  I just converted to QD and had it i my hand, but could not tell you for certain.  Possibly 4-7 wires???

You could remove the connector to circut board and only have a hole large enough to pass that fiitting through, then reconnect.  That way there will be no cutting and soldering.

Ken

• Like 1

Y'all are braver than I am. Why not just cut a path in the shelf and build it back on. Then you can remove the pump controls in the future if need be. Seems better than cutting and soldering every time you need to move or replace or add or whatever. I cut out a larger box and just fit it through. Doesn't look as clean I guess. Or cut the hole and cover it with the control bracket.

• Like 1

Open up your controller and take a look at the connection at the circut board.  I just converted to QD and had it i my hand, but could not tell you for certain.  Possibly 4-7 wires???

You could remove the connector to circut board and only have a hole large enough to pass that fiitting through, then reconnect.  That way there will be no cutting and soldering.

Ken

I was just  thinking that as I was cleaning my tank and looking at the controller. There are screws on the back right where he chord goes in so you should be able to see what is coming in to it. I am thinking 3 wires as it is the power wire.

From doing work on one of my MP40's in the past from what I remember there are at least 4 wires. Opening the controller I think you'd have much better luck disconnecting the pin connector and dealing with that. If you have a hole large enough to fit a two pin connector end. Otherwise cutting the wires and fitting those through and soldering the connection together is a much better idea than cutting the chord itself. 

Ken

remove the wire from the controller. Its has a molex style connector on the inside of the driver. pass that through your opening and reconnect the driver on the other side. It shouldn't need to be cut. I am sure if it comes down to it you can remove the wires from each of the individual spots in the connector as long as you remember where they go you can reconnect them on the other side. No cutting needed unless you wanted to extend/shorten the cord.