DIY simmer delay timer

BoringDave

The other day when the power went out it caused my new skimmer to over flow. This happened because all the power has to do is just blip and the Jecod DC pumps reset themselves then start ramping back up to set point power. This action makes my tank loose siphon, fill the sump and has to start all over again.

So this made me think? There has to be a delay timer of some sort on the market to delay the skimmer a few minutes before startup.

Behold their is! Reef Octopus, But with a price. $49.99 plus the ride.

So onto the forums I go in search of a more cost effective way.

Here it is.

83f60d45f62a2aad9e03a850246f61e2.jpg

The Supco TD-69 adjustable delay timer. .

I found if I wired it to just break the circuit ether the leg of 110 or even the neutral it would wig out the Jecod controller and I would get a 4-1 code and the pump wouldn't start. It would start a light or a Rio AC pump but why? So this made me think what to do?

ce91d2e6b046e61f44ca6f6ab656a52a.jpg

Omron DPDT 120v relay! I don't know why but we have two boxes full of them at work. Well we did.

0c6817edd641bdc1dece027be5611195.jpg

Did a little bit of rewiring.

e84cb3234e0e75e7a62417118bb0e8c0.jpg

Set it to 3 min and gave it a test on the DC pump and BANG!

Works Great!

All for less then $20.00 I would guess. I just had to buy the timer off eBay $7 shipped and the box/top and cover plate for $3.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No. no no. The steps before getting an APEX are timers, then arduino, then raspberry pi, then APEX. One does not just jump from timers to an APEX.

I do think there is a lot of benefit to using an arduino reef controller, or raspberry pi. Although, it does require programming. Everytime I get one going, I move and have to rip out my old one. Forget my code....yada yada. It is a cheap alternative.