Aging your WC water

impur

How long to you guys let the new SW you made for a WC circulate before doing your WC? I typically wait at least 24hrs or even more. I'm wondering because i need to do a WC now! And am making the water as we speak, only about 1 gal to go. I plan to use it real quickly though, maybe let it circulate for an hour at most.

I am ashamed to admit that I barely let the salt dissolve before it goes into the tank. Up until recently it has not mattered a lot. I have only had corals a short amount of time. I try to get the temperature close, but I watched the thermometer in my tank as I did this once, and the temperature only dropped like 1 or 2 degrees. I know rapid change is bad, but the heater kicks in quickly and brings the temp back up to "normal" fairly quickly. Once I get my basement in order, I'll have a fish room that I can have a larger container to mix up some salt to use for water changes. Until then, I am working out of 5 gal buckets.

dsoz :)

WOW, I never thought about this. Thanks.

Guess I should go get another big "garbage" can, to let it mix for a day or so.

Let it mix with a powerhead?

That is what most people do. It does not need to be a "big" garbage can. Only as big as the water change that you plan on doing. Either 10-20% of your total water volume.

dsoz

Well this morning everything looked fine. I think it put a stop to the sudden RTNing of some of my acros thank god.

Doran i use a 20gal tote from walmart for my WC container. I bought 2, one for mixing NSW and one for draining. For like 3 bucks a piece they work great!

That is what most people do. It does not need to be a "big" garbage can. Only as big as the water change that you plan on doing. Either 10-20% of your total water volume.

dsoz

10% on my system is 32 gallons... DOH! At least that takes some of the guesswork out of the equation.

Jay

That is what most people do. It does not need to be a "big" garbage can.

Which brand garbage can are the ones that are safe for storing water?

My current container is a bit on the small side and I can't roll it to my tank, meaning I have to lug it bucket by bucket making a big mess.

- Susanne

Rubbermaid is usually considered to be safe for storing saltwater, but most plastic should be ok. As long as there is no metal on the inside.

I am looking at getting a 20 gallon or so, with wheels so it can be moved easy.

dsoz