Filefish or glass anemone/Myrionema hydroids destroyer, HELP

BeasileyBub

Totally a long shot. But while I was away I had a giant bloom in tank demons. Specifically glass anemones, aptasia, and hydroids (this one is a bit unusual).

Long story short my tank babysitter allowed the salinity to spike and was over feeding the tank. Anywhos my filefish committed suicide in my MP40 while I was away. Does anyone have one I could buy or trade from them.

Or have any suggestions for my serious increase in pests? It's a reef tank so it's pretty delicate. 

I added 4 file fish at once and luckily 1 out the 4 didn't touch any coral and actually ate the aiptasia. The other 2 picked on coral and also ate aiptasia, the 1 other only picked at sps. All depends on the fish but imo is the best way to go. Berghias are great but wrasses love them and once the aiptasia are all eaten they will starve to death.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a bunch of l. Wurdemani peppermints(make sure to get the right species, because there are multiple different types of peppermints). Then, what I'd do is inject the aiptasia with joes juice or something similar...this can trigger the peppermints...it almost seems like if you hurt the anemones first, they will smell anemone blood in the water and then they'll start feeding.

c9b19db8c7e33181d667e7eea00eb1eb.jpg

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1

Thanks All. I also spoke with an individual (Dale from Animal house in town who is very knowledgeable) who suggested that there are multiple sources pointing to dog wormer to kill hydroids? I have an extra QT tank sitting around and thought taking a piece of rock out and a sacrificial coral might be a fun experiment. 

Pig dewormer, levamisole

Proceed with caution, I wiped out hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of coral with it.  

Here is my story:

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/34545-diy-flatworm-exit-mishap-tank-crash/

Yeah, I'm going to be extremely cautious. Everything will be put into two rounds of QT and I'll have sacrificial testers to see whether it works or not. I won't be dosing my main tank (if at all) if things don't go absolutely perfectly.