Kole Tang & Diamond Goby compatability

ReefNoobie

I just got a diamond goby and put a kile tang in about a couple weeks before hand. My tang is being a total bully to my goby.  The goby has only been in for about a day, but I was just wondering what people had to say about them adjusting to the tank.  Does it take some time for them to find a spot.  He dug out one spot but it was back in the general area where the tang usually swims/sleeps/hides. I dont want my tang to kill my goby and will take him back to LFS if need be.

Can anybody shine some light on this topic?

Inhabitants in the tank are:

-2 yellow tail damsels

-1 skunk cleaner shrimp

-1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang

-3 Turbo Snails

-10 blue legged hermits

-1 Zoa frag

-2 Xenia (about half dollar or smaller in size)

Oh ya, 65g, about 50-60lbs of LR.

Area feed tank once every 1-2 days with misis, raw shrimp, frozen seaweed delight, and formula 1 pellets. 

Chemistry is all stable:

Ammonia, Nitrite, Phosphate - 0

Nitrate less than 5ppm. (I have chaeto in sump with light to eat excess nutrients)

Please help anybody that has anything to say about this, I LOVE my goby and will do what I have to to keep him alive and happy.

Thanks for any advice and really appreciate any insight given!

Hi. I just recently ran into this same issue. I have a 70 gallon cube and had my kole tang for 2 months with 2 purple fire fish, a exquisite wrasse and 4 chromis. All the fish got along no problems. I introduced a diamond goby and from the start the tang pestered the goby non stop eventually killing it. I then bought a second diamond goby and the same issue persisted eventually killing it as well. I eventually took the tang back to lfs because it started nipping at the fire fish and wrasse as well. As much as I liked the tang I just couldn't keep it with its aggressiveness. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the input, I will keep that in mind. What do you use to keep your goby from jumping? I put a couple sections of egg crate on top of my tank and he was making it through the squares, s I was going to glue some mesh screen to it to stop him from making it through.

I'm just a bit worried about the light PAR now that it will be obstructing the top of the water a little. Any thoughts on keeping him in, or is there a point when him jumping out isn't much to worry about anymore? I noticed he was only jumping like crazy when he was freaked out and felt threatened from the kole tang. Nothing else seemed to bother him much.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

For the top

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html

You'll find all the components you'll need at Lowes or HD which is less expensive or you can go this route

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

Brad is right. I just did the exact do it yourself screen for the top of my new tank. It really was very easy. Home Depot has the screen kit for 12 dollars, and then I bought these spline roller for 3. The only thing I did not buy is the actual screen because a friend gave me some left over. Worked fine. They might have that at Home Depot also, but I did not look. Here is the kit.

2cececdf240709d2f50c9d7e23261246.jpgb7ccd9c07744fc543567ee1ce8ac4260.jpg1b7a66b810c3a38caa26a068a1085402.jpg

• Like 2

That's a great way to go for a top, I use it on several tanks.

If in a hurry, the bird netting (not deer) at wilco type of stores is 1/4" mesh and black.  It does not block any light as it is so fine.  It is also very cheap.

So a trip to Wilco and Home depot and for around 20 bucks or so you will have a nice screen top!

• Like 1

I hated my Kole tang for this exact same reason! I lost 1yellow sleeper headed Goby, and almost another because the Kole Tang would immediately chase him back into his hole every time the goby would come out to eat, A white sand bed was more important to me than the Kole tang so you can guess who went and will never return to another on of my tanks :)

Ya, I think I'm going to attempt to catch him prob this weekend and get rid of him. Any ideas for fish trap to catch him. I saw the clear container with fishing line for the string. What should I us to bait him in? Macro?

not sure about a fish trap I'm sure there are others here who would know how to achieve that, I was just really pissed off to be honest so I got a bigger than usual net in the 125 I had at the time, I put seaweed in a magnetic holder on the front glass and when he went for it I would try to snag him between the net and the glass, it took a few tries if I remember correctly. I knew I had the potential of stressing him and sending him to the rocks but didn't care as that would buy my goby time, but he proved to be a glutant for food.

• Like 1

Ya, I think I'm going to attempt to catch him prob this weekend and get rid of him. Any ideas for fish trap to catch him. I saw the clear container with fishing line for the string. What should I us to bait him in? Macro?

Your goby. [emoji1]
  • Like 1

Sorry I couldn't possibly remember that it was like 6 years ago. I do remember I got it in Portland though at this interesting store that looked more like a giant shop you would enter under one of the shop doors lifted partially up, there was a door to the far right with a counter in front as you walked in and was really dark, I got it when I bought a Sail fin tang from the guy... Something wants to tell me the store had the name "SeaHorse" in the title. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I'm pretty sure those tangs will go after any type of seaweed they seem to love the stuff.

Your goby. [emoji1]

No my tang. I love my goby, that's why I was wondering if this is common for yellow eyed kole tangs.

I'll just ask around and see if I can't figure out what kind of seaweed they love.

Thanks for everybody's advice and help, if anybody else can think of the kind of seaweed that they would like, let me know. I just have frozen cubed seaweed that he eats and grazes off the ground after area feeding. Thanks again guys! Keep it comin!

Sorry I couldn't possibly remember that it was like 6 years ago. I do remember I got it in Portland though at this interesting store that looked more like a giant shop you would enter under one of the shop doors lifted partially up, there was a door to the far right with a counter in front as you walked in and was really dark, I got it when I bought a Sail fin tang from the guy... Something wants to tell me the store had the name "SeaHorse" in the title. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I'm pretty sure those tangs will go after any type of seaweed they seem to love the stuff.

That sounds like Seahorse aquarium and he did use to sell fish traps. I don't believe the store is there anymore. I had heard rumors he was going to open a garage operation. I used to have a fish trap but gave that away when I was taking down my tank. It worked well and helped many other people out around here but I gave it away.

No my tang. I love my goby, that's why I was wondering if this is common for yellow eyed kole tangs.

I'll just ask around and see if I can't figure out what kind of seaweed they love.

Thanks for everybody's advice and help, if anybody else can think of the kind of seaweed that they would like, let me know. I just have frozen cubed seaweed that he eats and grazes off the ground after area feeding. Thanks again guys! Keep it comin!

It's no big deal, I'm just looking for something that kole tangs would go crazy on. I'm new to the hobby and am still learning. The kole tang was the only tang that didn't require a much larger tank and this is the reason I got him. He is a grazer and loved that too. I have a 65g, so most other tangs were out. If anybody knows of any other algae grazers that are peaceful community fish that would be suitable for a 65g let me know. Seems like tangs are out.

Thanks again everybody!!! Keep it coming. Thanks for all the replies!!!

Fish traps are awesome. You can make one pretty easy if you meet the criteria:

1) Find a bottle big enough for the fish

2) The bottle fits somewhere in your tank

Here is a good 'howto' if interested

https://www.reefcleaners.org/how-to-trap-a-fish

This is the only method I know of, but wonder about other fish wandering in. That's why I'm trying to figure out what kind of food just the kole tang will go crazy for, so its less likely to lure in unwanted spectators. If you know of any let me know. Thanks for the l guide! Great info!!!

Good deal.  

I am the poster child for 'he never should have put that fish in his reef tank', had too much practice it seems like.

All the fish do wander in and out.  Sometimes I have to keep it there an hour, sometimes days.  

Eventually the right one will come in especially if you cut back on feeding and you only put food in the trap, not the rest of the tank.

Good luck!

Thanks, will try that. Seems he has calmed down a bit, now my goby has a hole dug out, I just want him to feel free to wonder, not always watching his back. We shall see in time. Might still end up taking him back. Thanks for all your help TheClark!!!