new vs 1 year old

Yourmedic

So, I'm looking at a skimmer; its a reef octopus internal 150. The local shop here is asking $125 for it and says it has been used for about a year. On a website that I found, (not sure if I'm aloud to put the name on here or not) that seems to have a good reputation, has said skimmer for sale for $263.99. My question is, should I go new, is the shops asking price a good deal, and any other thoughts you might have. 

I have a 100 gal marineland eclipse tank I wanted to trade for the skimmer and an RO/DI unit along with paying a reasonable difference with cash, but they won't do a trade and will order the ro/di unit online. I was a bit surprised because they quoted me the online price, which I can get myself. 

Wish I was in the PDX area as I would probably have better shops to work with. Anyways, please give me all the advice you can dispense!

Thank you!

As long as the skimmer body is in good shape your biggest concern should be with the pump, are replacement parts readily available? Can the pump be upgraded? Things with moving parts should always be looked into 1st, IMHO

• Like 1

Good advice Chris!

If it is this skimmer, the reviews are pretty stellar

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-150int-6-internal-protein-skimmer.html#tab-full-details

But yeah, if you cannot replace the pump down the road, you are left with nothing.  Looks like a replacement aquatrance 2000s is 80 bucks

http://www.coralvue.com/aquatrance-protein-skimmer-pumps

That seems like a killer deal as the pump alone is 80 bucks.  I love the RO skimmers, probably in your shoes I would take the gamble and save the cash and try the used skimmer.

That's a good deal for a year old skimmer, plus you're working with your local lfs that's going to now call you by name when you come in and give you first dibs on special deals when they come up. If it were five years old, I'd be concerned with the life of the pump. 

I notice you said your tank is 100 gallons. Do you have a sump also? The skimmer listed is for 150 gallon tank max. I am not sure what kind of load your going to have in your tank but I would want a skimmer that can handle a much larger load than that one for your tank size plus sump.

Please remember this advise is worth what you payed for it and even less sometimes.

• Like 1