11 month and 1 week old tank progress, and 8 month old tank prgress

fly guy

I have to wait another year to post any one year updates.......

here is the current status of both tanks :(

2 weeks ago

full.jpg

yesterday

deathrebuild.jpg

deathhh.jpg

And the total loss removed

deathall.jpg

Left town for 4 days and didnt cover my bases well enough. Housesitter came by once somehow the air conditioner was turned off.....chillers couldnt handle the 105 degree ambient room temp

my 90 was 100 degrees when i got home...the 225 was 94

a small tomini tang was the sole survivor in the 90. In the 225 a chevron, small tomini. clown and his condi, pink spotted watchman were all that survived as well as a couple large candy canes, a couple of gorgs and most of the zoanthids.

It will be easy to get rid of my monti eating nudis now though

That's terrible Bill. You have great set-up. I hope you plan on rebuilding. If I hadn't lost all of my SPS earlier this year to a Nitrate spike, I would set you up with some frags. DOH!

I'm sure there are some kind hearted people on this board that would get a frag pack going for you.

Jay

What a tragedy! I feel your hurt, but I hope you will rebuild. There should be reef insurance to cover such a loss. We can all learn a lesson from this. No matter how much caution we use, we're all at risk. Your tank really looked great before.

Thanks everyone. It was a pretty hard hit. Both tanks were just starting to become something.

bottom line, Dont take anything for granted when you leave and take the time to truly make sure anybody looking over your house understands why everything is how it is

Guest Mbeef61

thats genocide....sorry man thats my worst nightmare...i left town for a week over the 4th and never slept very well...luckily i had experienced help watching the tank

I think that is the worst possible thing besides losing everything that I have every seen. I am really sorry. At least you know it wasn't from some stupid accident while you were home and just neglecting the tanks. Some times bad luck just pops up and kicks our reef keeping arses. Well you will definately have to rebuild. In a few months I will have some frags for you if you would like. Make sure and get a huge chiller. It really does the trick!

Take care and sorry again for you loss,

Garrett

Oh, so sorry!! That's horrible! (sad)

There needs to be some kind of back-up support in the club for when people wanna go on vacation. All of us panic about it, but all of us also need a vacation from life once in a while.

Maybe we can put together a list of folks that might be willing to volunteer to help out...? We could require that people offering to be a tank-checkers have been a member for a certain amt of time and maybe require a few PNWMAS member references..? Something like that, just to make sure they're trustworthy, etc?

If there's something wrong with the tank being checked and the tankchecker isn't sure what to do (still somewhat of a newb like me), they could contact a local member with more expertise.. That would allow for a chain of back-up to help prevent tragedies like this. None of us want to see this happen to anyone ever. :( Based on how nice the PNWMAS members I've met have been, I suspect that many of them would do something like this to help out a fellow reefer...

Just a thought. 'Don't know if something like that is even possible. Maybe it's craziness (nutty)

For what it's worth, I'm a housewife with small kids/tanks/animals, so I'm basically around all the time and have free time during the day. I'd be happy to stop by daily and check up on PNWMAS member's tanks while they're out of town. I really don't mind and would like to help out. I'm up in Vancouver, though, so I could only help out folks in the Portland/Vancouver area. Bob was nice enough to stop by and check our tank when we went out of town this past Dec. It totally took the worry out of my being away from home...

Again, so sorry to hear ....

Wow.....that's starting to make me nervous. I am on a 5 week road-trip right now and have someone looking over my tank while I'm gone. I'm really lucky though and found someone that is a reefer and is good at taking care of tanks.

I think that a list or thread of people w/contact info that would be willing to check on tanks would be good. We could also post feedback/problems on the person. And if the tank sitter is an active member and has problems with the tank, they can contact someone else, and post on the forum to get help.

Anyways, sorry about your loss, hopefully you can get a tank back up soon if you are planning too.

Oh, so sorry!! That's horrible! (sad)

There needs to be some kind of back-up support in the club for when people wanna go on vacation. All of us panic about it, but all of us also need a vacation from life once in a while.

Maybe we can put together a list of folks that might be willing to volunteer to help out...? We could require that people offering to be a tank-checkers have been a member for a certain amt of time and maybe require a few PNWMAS member references..? Something like that, just to make sure they're trustworthy, etc?

If there's something wrong with the tank being checked and the tankchecker isn't sure what to do (still somewhat of a newb like me), they could contact a local member with more expertise.. That would allow for a chain of back-up to help prevent tragedies like this. None of us want to see this happen to anyone ever. :( Based on how nice the PNWMAS members I've met have been, I suspect that many of them would do something like this to help out a fellow reefer...

Just a thought. 'Don't know if something like that is even possible. Maybe it's craziness (nutty)

For what it's worth, I'm a housewife with small kids/tanks/animals, so I'm basically around all the time and have free time during the day. I'd be happy to stop by daily and check up on PNWMAS member's tanks while they're out of town. I really don't mind and would like to help out. I'm up in Vancouver, though, so I could only help out folks in the Portland/Vancouver area. Bob was nice enough to stop by and check our tank when we went out of town this past Dec. It totally took the worry out of my being away from home...

Again, so sorry to hear ....

I have thought about this idea...Cause I would be willing to check on tanks for people or be a back up if a house sitter thinks something is wrong...

Your loss makes the small leak in my tank look... small. I need to replace my tank, but all my livestock survived. I would like to donate to your recovery, but I only have starter frags of my own.

I do have an extra orange monti cap frag that I could give you if there is a way to get it over the mountain to you. Let me know if you want it, and if there is anyone going in the direction of bend anytime soon.

So sorry for your loss.

dsoz