Gorgeous Blue Carpet Anemone

Gil&Fin

That's a beautiful nem!!!! Poor fish but beautiful nem!

Yes, there is a lot of risk that goes along with carpets.  I don't have any fish in that tank right now.  Adding clownfish will be safe of course, but the rest will be touch-and-go.  No gobies, blennies, and needless to say I won't be adding gem tangs and candy basslets anytime soon!

• Like 1

lol yes no expensive fish. They aren't really safe with clownfish either. When I had a green one the black clown female got caught in it when I first put it in and had to help free her l. She survived. I had one of my other clownfish get stuck in a maxi mini. Poor thing looked like it just lost in a boxing match but also survived. I imagine if you give it enough space and don't add too many fish they will be alright. Fish learn pretty quickly to give it space I think sometimes what happens is they are getting chased by another fish and just accidentally run into it. My female clownfish was attacking my hand at the time she got stuck in the green carpet I had. Kinda served her right lol she was mean!

lol yes no expensive fish. They aren't really safe with clownfish either. When I had a green one the black clown female got caught in it when I first put it in and had to help free her l. She survived. I had one of my other clownfish get stuck in a maxi mini. Poor thing looked like it just lost in a boxing match but also survived. I imagine if you give it enough space and don't add too many fish they will be alright. Fish learn pretty quickly to give it space I think sometimes what happens is they are getting chased by another fish and just accidentally run into it. My female clownfish was attacking my hand at the time she got stuck in the green carpet I had. Kinda served her right lol she was mean!

Do you remember what type of clownfish, Kim?  There are a lot fewer clown species compatible with carpets than, say, bubble-tips.  I'm wondering if it was one that is purportedly hosted by carpets?  Even if it isn't one that carpets host though, I am surprised that it got caught in it!  Although...I've read and also observed clowns "introducing" themselves to anemones before jumping in.  The theory is that either the clowns have to acclimate slowly to that anemone's nematocytes, or the anemone has to get used to that clown's protective "slime."  Maybe the black clown hadn't had a chance to acclimate.

Do you remember what type of clownfish, Kim?  There are a lot fewer clown species compatible with carpets than, say, bubble-tips.  I'm wondering if it was one that is purportedly hosted by carpets?  Even if it isn't one that carpets host though, I am surprised that it got caught in it!  Although...I've read and also observed clowns "introducing" themselves to anemones before jumping in.  The theory is that either the clowns have to acclimate slowly to that anemone's nematocytes, or the anemone has to get used to that clown's protective "slime."  Maybe the black clown hadn't had a chance to acclimate.

I agree with this the black clown absolutely didn't have time to acclimate as I had just put the anemone in the tank and it fell into it trying to attack me. After that it didn't want anything to do with it. 

I do agree the clowns need time to acclimate to the anemone. I like watching them go through the process. Kind of gently touching the anemone and then finally rolling around in them like a kid in a pile of leaves. :)

For the maxi mini it was an ocellaris. 

• Like 1

You can search online a to what clowns typically host certsin nems, It's been years, but I did find a chart/list of what clowns were known to host certain nems

I think pink skunk clowns go with haddoni carpets but there are 2 different sub species of carpets if I recall correctly and not everyone had the same list of clowns.