new cold water pics

steveweast

Well, since my warm tank leaves much to be desired these days....and since I did a little diving and collecting last weekend....I thought I would post a few updated pics of my cold water reef. I picked up a few gorgonians and some natural substrate.

shawbox2.jpg

rigtgorgs.jpg

closeupcorny.jpg

I know that beautiful Shaw's Cowfish(Aracana aurita) is from Tasmania' date=' but are the invertebrates all from the Pacific Northwest?[/quote']

Most of the inverts are from Puget Sound/Straits of Juan de Fuca......a few are from Tasmania.

In a couple of weeks though, some folks from the Monterery Bay Aquarium are coming up here for a collecting trip. I'm hoping to get on that boat too. If I can, Then I'll have access to areas that are tough to get to. As it was, last weekend, it was a fluke that I had access to a boat that was going to Neah Bay (Makah reservation) at the very tip of Washington. It's high current there that is really only divable during summer.

I love your coldwater pictures- were you going to add a small Puget Sound King Crab to it? I might be remembering that wrong.

Nope....don't have one.....but, from what I've been told.....small ones are illegal to collect. I haven't been able to confirm that yet (sometimes the rules are very vague and are geared more for fishermen); but, I've only seen large ones so far. I see quite a few in the Strait.....but, never in the Sound.

(drooler) wow these pics are gorgous I cant imagine what your tank must look like in person. I agree with nyles potm(clap) very nice. what size tank is this? how long have you been doing cold water?

I've been keeping cold water for about 3 years now. I have two small tanks....one about 120 gals and one about 50 gals joined with a common sump. I keep them in some extra space that I have in my equipment room that services my warm water reef. These are not really display tanks....but rather, tanks that test the viability of keeping cold water critters. Some day, I'll set up a real cold display....but for now, these are just two small cold water play tanks.

• 4 weeks later...