Oh no, Hydroids!

siskiou

I've just discovered that I have a number of digitate hydroids in my tank, and also the common brown tube ones.

Those I can pull with tweezers, but I'm not sure how to get the digitate kind.

They are thin and only mainly come out in the dark.

And I found another night creature that I'm not sure what it is.

One had caught a small bristle worm last night.

I'll try to take a pic tonight.

Are there any methods of keeping hydroids in check that don't involve throwing the rock out or blowtorching it?

I'm just starting to slowly get a handle on the algae and now this!(cussing)

I've always had the digitate hydroids in my aquarium- and had never had a problem with them. I'm sure others will disagree' date=' but that's my opinion.[/quote']

I had digitate hydroids in my first SW tank 7 years ago. As with most inverts they are hit or miss, and mine never did any damage. The colonial hydroids OTOH, were another story. I was never able to eradicate them while the rock was live.

same here, no issues, I have in the last two months really cut back on feeding and they have dissapeared. Not saying you should attempt that but an option, maybe tonight I will peak in there and see if there are any left.

Thanks!

I've had the colonial ones in my 20H for years, and they've multiplied quite a bit in two areas, but not really a problem.

I only have a few of those in the 120G and will pull out one small rock with the majority of them, and pluck the others.

I'm more concerned about the digitate, but read they sometimes bloom in an aquarium and then just disappear again.

Can't cut the feedings because of the anthias.

And I tried taking a pic of the sand-dwelling things that only appear at night, but no luck. They are the color of the sand, and the flash made them almost invisible.

They look like they might be an anemone type, or hydroid.

They have a "fleshy stem" with tentacles in a circle, about an inch long, sweeping the sand.

When I tried to pull one out, it disappeared in the sand in the blink of an eye.

There are quite a few...

They have a "fleshy stem" with tentacles in a circle, about an inch long, sweeping the sand.

When I tried to pull one out, it disappeared in the sand in the blink of an eye.

There are quite a few...

Could it be a spaghetti worm? Try to get a pic, but turn off the flash (most cameras can do this). If you can set your shutter speed, increase the time that the shutter is open to compensate for the low light. Also spotlight it with a flashlight (with a red filter if you have one). It takes three hands to hold a flashlight and take a pic, but you can do it. :)

dsoz :)

I wish they were spaghetti worms, but the picture I've seen of those look different than what I have.

On mine, the tentacles look more like anemone types, clear and relatively thin, but with white speckles in them, and not quite as long as the spaghetti worms have.

I'll try another picture in the next few days. Wish I had a tripod for the camera.