a little confused

Jorge

I recently took a couple samples of water to be tested for phosphates with a hanna colorimeter (not the egg). Both results came back with a reading of .39!! One sample was from my display tank and the other was from my rodi reservoir. I replaced all cartridges including the membrane on 6/24/14. The unit is a 5 stage spectrapure with tds meter. The the tds meter reads 0. Could I still have phosphates in my product water even tho the tds meter says 0?? Whats confusing is the fact that both my tank water and reservoir water read exactly .39.. Thoughts

My rodi reservoir is a 32g brute can. Tds is 0 out the rodi but read 39 straight out of the brute can. Thats the unit only for water changes. I run two spectrapure rodi units. One for water changes and one solely for top off. The reservoir for my top off is a 12g smoked acrylic box. The top off unit also reads reads 0.. I guess my biggest concern is could I still be getting phosphates even tho the tds meters read 0? I thought brute cans were safe to use. Might I have the wrong brute?

Edited by Jorge

If the water going into the can is zero, than it most be the container. That is all I can figure from the information you posted. There are 55 gallon Food- Grade Plastic Barrels available fairly cheap that have been used for storing wine vinegar. Beaverton Foods used to give them away years ago at the old Beaverton location. They may ask a few dollars for them now, but go ahead and check with them. I washed my barrels out with baking soda and water to raise the pH and get rid of the wine vinegar smell.

That is crazy, it sounds somehow that the test is flawed.  Any chance the same water was tested twice (I know, obvious, but still...)

The odds of the container and the tank having the exact same phosphate seem terribly low.

Can you do a third test of pure RODI water from a known good filter.  If that comes out .39 then you are onto something.

Good luck on your hunt!

That is crazy, it sounds somehow that the test is flawed. Any chance the same water was tested twice (I know, obvious, but still...)

The odds of the container and the tank having the exact same phosphate seem terribly low.

Can you do a third test of pure RODI water from a known good filter. If that comes out .39 then you are onto something.

Good luck on your hunt!

This.

A third test would be ideal. Great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be taking a sample directly from both units and see what that brings up. Dou you guys trust the tds meters from your rodi units? I thought 0 meant 0. Also jas anyone had trouble with brute cans from home depot?

Sorry for the dementia kicking in but didn't I test your PO4 when I grabbed the QT tank????

Regardless I've got the UL Milwaukie tester and happy to test (again maybe LOL)

Brad yes you did!! Remember it was like .04??

I wanted to follow up on it and see if my regimen was keeping them low. I show up with two water samples feeling optimistic and sure enough .39!! My tank hasn't looked this good for a long time for the exception of small patches of hair algae like you saw the last time you stopped by. I will bring two more samples with me for you to check. I'll pay for the reagents, and yes I'm ready for some more candy!!