Forum editing issue

Higher Thinking

Here is the update on thread editing:

Currently everyone can edit any post they make for a period of 10 minutes after the post is made. So if you make a typo, have a second thought, etc, etc, there is an option to fix it.

We went with IPB recommendation of not extending that time. The current policy is consistent with other sites, whether members pay to be on that site or not (Reef2Reef, ReefCentral, Seahorse.org. MASNA, DGRIN, KELBYGroup, NAPP.) They all use the exact same setup we currently have.

It has been reported that we have had repeated problems over the last couple of years with many, many fights, and posts having to be moderated or deleted. Since we have made this switch we have had 0. People can't lash out and then delete it the next day, so they stopped doing it. Seems to be working well. We have also had 0 cases where someone emails and asks if we can check how a classified thread was edited, because they swear the price changed after they agreed to it.

10 minutes is ample time to reread for any typos or whatnot. After that there is no real reason to be changing posts. This change so far has been a very positive one.

The other thing changed in the programming is now the first 5 posts from any person have to be approved before the posts go live. After 5 posts, all are live. It's a little pain in the butt for new folks for 5 posts, but we have had 0 spam hit the site since we started that.

In regards to the classified section, we will be rolling out a new system. It was asked for members to be able to open and close their own threads. That has been nothing but problems as well. A sale thread does not need to be "closed." If the OP wants to write all sold, and people post after, what is the harm? What if someone else has a question about it. Why does the thread need to close at all?

Instead of closing classified threads, they just auto expire and delete after 30 days of no posts. It would save space (which we pay for) and it would solve the closing issues for the sale threads.

Being able to edit and open/close threads are both reasons I always liked our forum better than others. I don't see the harm in either and actually think its a pita not to be able to do so now. While I can see yours and the bod's reasons, I don't think they are shared by most paid and non paid members.

I'm with Matty on this. One reason there have been no fights is the reduced traffic on the site. If I start a discussion, and decide I've heard enough, I should be able to close my own thread. If someone else wants to have the same or a similar discussion they are welcome to start their own.

This is especially important in classified threads. Being able to edit a classified thread enables the seller to delete sold items and still keep the thread active with other items for sale. There is a rule that if you have more than one item for sale they must all be in the same thread. If you have a bunch of items for sale the thread can, and does get rather cluttered.

I'm with Matty on this. One reason there have been no fights is the reduced traffic on the site. If I start a discussion, and decide I've heard enough, I should be able to close my own thread. If someone else wants to have the same or a similar discussion they are welcome to start their own.

This is especially important in classified threads. Being able to edit a classified thread enables the seller to delete sold items and still keep the thread active with other items for sale. There is a rule that if you have more than one item for sale they must all be in the same thread. If you have a bunch of items for sale the thread can, and does get rather cluttered.

Agreed.

My apologies for the incorrect information, I was going off information gathered from sources outside myself.

Please, no apologies-

The edit feature was a driving force for me becoming a paid member over there especially with that being a place I list stuff to get rid of. Outside of a classified thread or being someone running a GO Comp Ive rately needed to edit a thread I've posted ( to the best I can recall, but I'm old and suffer a little pre-dementia) but I'm sure I have more than I can remember.

It would be worth adding as a member perk

Anyway, all is good, I didn't mean anything neg by my post-I pretty much throw it out there if I "have issues"

FWIW-the site has really improved!

I agree with all who have posted. As former President and member of the bod there Was NOT any major problem with members having the ability to edit. It was one of the things that made this place unique. At the least it should strongly be considered a perk for paying members if you don't want it to be available to all. Like Brad said it was one of the things that made me decide to pay my membership over there. I hope you reconsider.

Having the "go advanced" option or "preview post" (especially the later) would be good to have back.

I just spent a pretty good amount time replying to a post to hit the "more reply options" tab hoping it would take me to a preview type area, but not the case, just took me to a new window and lost everything I typed.

Its not worth the time to retype it IMO,but suggesting the preview option or go advanced option was :popcorn:

Edited by reefnjunkie
  • Like 1

When did the "joined date" cease to exist on the avatar of each individual?

It left when we changed software. I could never figure how to get it back, and then honestly I got distracted and kinda forgot about it.

I liked that too. I'll get it back up if I can figure it out.

Jeramy, it doesn't unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk