I need teeth!

Micah

Alright, so... I made an overflow box without weir teeth.   I did it, because I had no way of cutting them myself, and having them cut was prohibitively expensive. 

I need one of these things:

• A creative way to cover my overflow box that fish won't get stuck on top of.

• A way to cut weir teeth easily with a hand drill or a chop saw in acrylic.  I could then glue these teeth to the box.

• A ready made purchasable product of weir teeth

Anybody?

Edited by Micah

You could always show some patience and ask for help before you finish the project. Or take Bill up on his offer to help now.

Ugh... Okay, I'll bite.  I actually was betting on being able to use gutter guard.  Which, would actually work, if my returns didn't come out right over it.  I used gutter guard in my glass sump with great success.  For this, I need glued in teeth.  Something rigid.   

Actually a router with a straight 3/16" straight bit and a dovetail jig would probably be a good bet. I'm sure somebody had these laying around. A laminate trimmer, small light, easier to handle than a full sized router would also be a good option. I've got all the above, except the jig but it's a long way to travel.

i just use my mini mill with onsrud single flute end-mills.

Other option is a piece of thin open cell foam and a rectangular piece of acrylic that fits over the top like a filter holder.  I've done this for nems on the rampage

Another option is drilling overflow holes.  4 per "tooth".  I had to do this on the overflow for my fluval edge.

• Like 1

Actually a router with a straight 3/16" straight bit and a dovetail jig would probably be a good bet. I'm sure somebody had these laying around. A laminate trimmer, small light, easier to handle than a full sized router would also be a good option. I've got all the above, except the jig but it's a long way to travel.

Yeah, no thanks.

You can borrow my dremel if you want. I'm still in your neck of the woods 3 days a week. 

When I made my teeth 10 years ago or so I just cut them out with a dremel. I mounted the dremel face up in a vice clamp on the side of my workbench and then used a cinderblock as a guide. Pretty easy to do. You could use a drill that way to not a dremel I suppose. If you don't have the clamps your always welcome to come over. . . I do have an Apex to play with... ;) 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have found teeth more trouble than they are worth.  Toothless provides better surface skimming and is just plain easier.  I just build a table out of acrylic and PVC.  Literally a small table that sits inside the overflow box so there is just a 1/4" gap between the top of the overflow and bottom of the lid use PVC for the legs.  System works flawlessly no fish/snails inside the overflow, with a dark acrylic lid no algae grows there either win win.

• 5 months later...