Filter socks- yes or no?

siskiou

Filter socks- yes or no?  

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • sometimes

Do you use them, and if yes, how often do you rinse them out?

I've been staying away from them, because I have enough trouble with nitrates as it is, but there is a lot of tiny stuff floating in my water and I'd like to polish it a bit.

The diatom filter works great for it, but it heats up the house and I don't want to run it all the time.

Yes i use two one for each of my returns. I run them through the wash about every week or two at the most.

Hot water wash no soap them back in the sump they go.

if your lazy i think fantaseas has a exchange program, were you bring your dirty ones and grab clean ones and they do all the washing.

I think it depends a little bit on a few factors as to how often they need to be changed out such as bio load, how often you feed, and if you turn off your flow through your socks when feeding so not very much uneaten food get's trapped in them to break down and raise nitrates. Also water volume could play a role in frequency of changeing out your filter socks. Because if you have 130gal. of water in your system like me, or 350gal. like some other reefers. Less water voulume=a higher probability of an increase in trates due to dirty socks. JMO I could be way off. I usually am :)

I use filter socks on both returns and have noticed a much clearer tank, also helps control microbubbles in sump also quieted splashes and gurgles comming from sump. I wash once a week and have noticed no increase in nitrates so far.I realy like socks just my 2 cents.

We use the socks. Change them once a week' date='wash them in the washer no soap added. In hot/warm water. All by themselves. I think they work pretty well. Always nice and dirty when we change them out.[/quote']

off topic but :eek: you wash only two socks at a time in your washer?

I would imagine the effect of a sock is the same as a sponge in your filter. Rinse off once in a while and you're a-ok. :D

BAS does not take care of suspended particles in the water column. So as soon as I move my tank to the basement (1 or 2 weeks away), I am going to hook up my new sump, and I got a filter sock to go in the sump to help filter.

I was wondering what to do with it when it got dirty... Now I know.

dsoz :)

BAS does not take care of suspended particles in the water column. So as soon as I move my tank to the basement (1 or 2 weeks away), I am going to hook up my new sump, and I got a filter sock to go in the sump to help filter.

I was wondering what to do with it when it got dirty... Now I know.

dsoz :)

Actually they do pull out the particles... if they don't then you have one of 2 problems.

1. Skimmer is too small
  2. not enough flow in the tank to move the particulate matter to the skimmer.

Actually they do pull out the particles... if they don't then you have one of 2 problems.

1. Skimmer is too small
  2. not enough flow in the tank to move the particulate matter to the skimmer.

Good to know. Now I know that my CSS is too small. It is better than what I had before (nothing). Now I gotta plan on buying a new BAS. :)

dsoz

Or you could mod the CSS ;) add mesh it does wonders.

That may be something for me to try this summer. I am just afraid that I will mess it up, then I don't have a skimmer at all. Maybe that can be something that someone is willing to talk about at one of the meetings this summer. We all bring in our skimmers, and someone has some extra mesh that we can buy, then you show us how to do it. :)

I am also afraid of how mutch it will raise the water level inside the skimmer body. The water goes partway up the neck to begin with. Adding more, smaller, bubbles may cause it to constantly overflow.

I also have the problem when I add top-off water to the tank, the skimmer goes nuts and overflows. I have to turn off the skimmer for about 30 minutes whenever I add water. Once those 30 minutes are up, the skimmer works fine. Until then it overfills the cup and water goes all down the backside of my tank...

It will get me by for now.

dsoz

Well luckily the mesh mod is something that doesn't hurt anything. You just zip tie it or tie it with fishing line to your existing impeller. If you don't like it just remove it. Nothing to mess up :D I'd be willing to show you how at the meeting at Advanced if you are going.

Adding mesh actually increases air into the skimmer, and as a result the water level in the skimmer must be lowered. More air into the skimmer = less water. Are you running the skimmer wide open right now? I know that skimmer has an adjustable dial on it to adjust the water level in the chamber.

How much topoff water are you adding at once? What it sounds like to me, is you are adding the topoff which in turn lowers the SG of the water entering the skimmer. The skimmer does not work the same in FW, or even lower SG water, the air bubbles do not act the same in that case. You skimmer is then pulling in more water than air, and results in overflowing. Can you try adding less topoff more often throughout the day?

I should be at the meeting at Advanced. Do you have some extra mesh that I can buy off of you? Thanks for offering to show me how. I'll bring the unit (just the powerhead sould do, right?). I thought for some reason that you had to cut some of the blades off the impeller to make it work. That was what I was afraid of.

I know that more air will decrease the water volume, but the water surface is what I am talking about. Will having more bubbles make the surface of the water go higher in the neck?

What about microbubbles? The CSS already spits out major bubbles. Will a mesh mod make the microbubble problem worse? That is my other main concern. Maybe when I get my sump in place I can direct the output of the skimmer back into the filtersock that I will have. That should take care of any bubble problem, right?

I have the output wide open, and I have experimented with closing off the input, but I was told to leave the input wide open as well.

For the top off, I am actually taking about a 1/2 bucket of tank water out, and adding the TO water to it, then I mix it by hand for about a minute or two. Then I use a 1/2 inch hose to slowly syphon it back into the tank. It still messes with the SG, and the skimmer goes nuts and overflows if I don't turn it off for a while. When I get my tank moved to my basement, I will hook up my "new" used sump. This will let me put the skimmer in the sump so if it happens any more the water will not go all over my floor.

Thanks again.

Dennis :)

I have some extra mesh i'll bring you free of charge ;) Just bring the PH that will be fine.

You will need to open up the dial on the skimmer to lower the water level. Having more bubbles will make the water level lower. You'll just have to account for the extra foam head by lowering the water level in the skimmer.

Yah direct it into a filter sock or something. That'll work great.

On the topoff it sounds like what i described above. Adding slower or less water more often should help that, or maybe your new sump will fix that problem.

I'll do some searching to see what ppl have done on that skimmer after adding mesh.

• 2 weeks later...