Stray voltage?

Jack-the-reefer

While I was cleaning today I noticed it get a sharp stinging on one of my fingers where I had a hangnail. I don't get it in any of the other tanks.

I started unplugging things and re dipping my finger to test it out. When I unplug the new powerhead, I don't feel it. Do I need to replace the powerhead?

I started unplugging things and re dipping my finger to test it out.

You should probably never do that again. I mean, electricty... water... Be safe man.

IME it has always been my heater, except one time when it was my light. I got hurt kinda badly the time it was my light. The voltage meters and grounds just aren't that expensive to fool with it.

Glad your O.K.

• Like 1

What power head is it? I use a titanium grounding probe for piece of mind in my tank, they run like $12 or so. I would consider replacing if it is putting out voltage.

I recommend against ground probes.  A GFCI is a safety device.  A ground probe is not and it may increase your risk.  If you insist on using one, I would recommend you put it on a switch and turn it off when you have your hands in the water.  That way you are protected and you get the supposed advantages of a probe the rest of the time.

Anyone checking for stray voltage (via multimeter) during bi-weekly PM's , for instance when you clean your skimmer? Usually, when there is enough stray voltage to feel, the current (amps) differential is enough to trip the GFCI. One option I had discussed previously was building a power breakout panel with independent GFCI outlets for each piece of equipment for those worried about a gfci tripping off their entire system.

• Like 2

Anyone checking for stray voltage (via multimeter) during bi-weekly PM's , for instance when you clean your skimmer? Usually, when there is enough stray voltage to feel, the current (amps) differential is enough to trip the GFCI. One option I had discussed previously was building a power breakout panel with independent GFCI outlets for each piece of equipment for those worried about a gfci tripping off their entire system.

How to check with multimeter...I'm not good with electricity... Last time I tried to check an outlet I blew up my meter...

Won't there always be some stray voltage in the water?

• 2 weeks later...

Link to the breakout panel?