Return recommendations please

rworegon

I'm starting a 30 gal cube build. The stand is small because of footprint of the tank so space is a consideration. the sump will be have a footprint around 14 x 17. I'm looking for recommendations on a return pump that isn't huge but will still give me good flow. Thanks for looking.

I am a jebao fan, so take it for what it is worth, Matty has way more experience with different pump types. I feel totally biased but inexperienced with the other pumps. Nice thing about a DC pump is that if you oversize it, it is easy to turn down in a small way. Not sure of the dimensions on the DC3000 or 6000. Well anyways hope that helps!

I am a jebao fan' date=' so take it for what it is worth, Matty has way more experience with different pump types. I feel totally biased but inexperienced with the other pumps. Nice thing about a DC pump is that if you oversize it, it is easy to turn down in a small way. Not sure of the dimensions on the DC3000 or 6000. Well anyways hope that helps![/quote']

I completely agree with Dc pumps being awesome! My only reason for suggesting the others is size but Randy if you can get a dc pump in there, that would be my recommendation as well.

• Like 1

IME it depends on what you want to keep in there, and how much flow you want out of your return.

I used a maxijet 1200 as a return on a 30g for years and loved it. Back then it was one of the few pumps you could turn on and off at will (I was turning off for feeding 3x a day) and that ran silent. If your not looking for much flow this is a cheaper option that IME ran very well.

If your looking for a bit more flow I would decide between the Eheim and a DC pump (I like the Jeabo even over my reef octopus). Eheims are beutiful little quiet tanks that will always work. I have never had an issue with one of mine, my oldest is about 10y IIRC. I switched from the Eheim to the Jeabo 9000 or something like (it's the blue one) and for the 6 months or so I have been running that pump I have nothing but great things to say about that, but it might be to much flow for what your looking for.

I would factor in what you want to keep in the tank, if you want additional power heads, what the head loss is, and then is there room in your plumbing for something like a SCWD (depending on what you want to keep) or a sea swirl, and then size appropriatley.

IMO being a fan of strong random water movement I would go big on the return and ditch the powerheads.

Oh and the Jeabo is onsale at Aquacave for $80 off right now.... just sayin. About to order me a back up.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I've been looking at the Sicce 1.5 and the 2.0 as well as the Eheim compact 2000. I like my Eheim 1262 returns that I have on the 90 gal and the frag tank.

The new 30 gal cube has a single top center overflow with a 1" return. I think the overflow will handle either one of these pumps.

The Sicce 1.5 will push 258 gph at 3' of head, which is about what this tank will require, the 2.0 will push 423 gph, while the Eheim 2000 is adjustable between 265 & 528 at 0 head. I haven't been able to fine a graph that shows head loss for the Eheim.

Either way I'll add a valve upstream from the pump to fine tune the flow and to shut down the flow for pump maintenance.

This is going to replace Jenn's 6 gal. She likes the movement of Euphelia, colors of zoa's and little nano type fish. Probably not much to non on the sps front.

Also probably move one or two of the nine RBTA's from the 39 cube into this.

Nine RBTAs!!?? Nice :)

If she likes the movement, and for those corals I would really recommend a scwd. They are not very expensive and they work really well IME. I've had the same one going for about 7 years now without cleaning or any problem what so ever. Great for a smaller tank so you don't need the powerhead and cheaper then a sea swirl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk