reef 2 reef connection?

kriz2fer

is there some kinda of connection from reef 2 reef to pnwmas? I have noticed a lot of members here are members of reef 2 reef also. I guess the surprise is the forums is relatively small compared to reef central, In comparison reef 2 reef has 45,000 members and reef central has close to 300, 000. some of the brightest stars in this hobby frequently contribute to that forum. not to mention a majority of the topics posted there started over at reef central. I guess it's a little rant be never understood the connection.

So you are confused because members here are also on Reef2Reef but not Reefcentral? Almost everyone I know here is a member of all 3 and Nano-reef, I guess I'm missing the point?

There is no affiliation between Reef2Reef and PNWMAS.

So you are confused because members here are also on Reef2Reef but not Reefcentral? Almost everyone I know here is a member of all 3 and Nano-reef, I guess I'm missing the point?

There is no affiliation between Reef2Reef and PNWMAS.

there is no point. lol its called a rant.

Reef2Reef is fairly friendly, met allot of good people there. PNWMAS is honestly my favorite, something about people you can see their tanks locally and trade with, and a pretty good group of people. Randy Holmes Farley is very active on Reef2Reef nowadays which is great for this Triton stuff going on. I was on reefcentral in the past. Accidentally posted a bad link to a zoanthids site. They gave me a severe warning and almost booted me. It was just a broken link for goodness sakes! For me that is the reason I don't spend much time posting there.

I like RC and R2R. I also belong to about 15 other sites or so, all for different reasons, I've been a mod for 4. National is good for some things, local is good for something's. I can't hang out with my buddies on RC unless we meet up at a convention, or rent a beach with the other club.

Local is awesome for tons of things, but all forums have there place IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you are ranting about what? This is kind of like the geico commercial where the dude says' date=' "everybody knows that."[/quote']

The wealth of knowledge on that forum is unmatched anywhere in this hobby, from new equipment, aqua scape, testing methods to bacteria control. it's an international forum with people from all over Asia to Germany bringing new ideas and info. I would say a majority of everything we know here at pnwmas was first introduced at reef central. if more people spent a majority of the time on reef central we would be more knowledgeable.

I've been a RC member for well over ten years, but it's funny how too much info and members can really be a bad thing.

The open forum aspect with soooo many members really makes one have to fish through all the bs to find an answer you are looking for.

IMO you still cannot beat the advice that many books contain...unbiased, educated answers.

On RC, r2r, or even here, it could be a middle schooler giving advice. That's my little rant.

A lack of posts should not be confused with a lack of attendance. Finding good information and research does not necessarily mean one needs to participate heavily in another forum. Like the Prez said each site has it's place.

Perfectly said my friend, I don't think it could be put any better.

no please don't misunderstand me. I love pnwmas' date=' it's the only forum I visit still but I wouldn't know what I know toady without reef central. pnwmas Is more like a club to me then a forum.[/quote']

Well that's good because we are a club. Yes we have a forum, but we are a group of individuals who are friends and can hang out with one another. We are a group of people where you can post that you are needing help and several members can show up at your house. That's something you can't find on an international forum. Also, like it was already mentioned, more people means more opinions. It's tougher to get reliable information from so many people you don't even know. Of course there are the exceptions. I would believe anything Tom Barr had to say on plantedtank.net. Likewise, I would believe any chemistry argument from Randy Holmes-Farley on R2R.

However, because I am actually getting to know people on this forum, I can better trust their information. I would trust Micah to program an apex with his eyes covered and no hands, I would trust Kevin to help me with photography questions or answer something about the history of the local reef community, I would trust Robert to show up at the drop of the hat to help rescue my system if something went wrong. These are kinds of qualities and characteristics that are tougher to develop with bigger forums because you don't know the people beyond a post or a PM. Here, I know these people from personal conversations and proofs of their abilities.

The wealth of knowledge on that forum is unmatched anywhere in this hobby, from new equipment, aqua scape, testing methods to bacteria control. it's an international forum with people from all over Asia to Germany bringing new ideas and info. I would say a majority of everything we know here at pnwmas was first introduced at reef central. if more people spent a majority of the time on reef central we would be more knowledgeable.

Ya, Google ensures that I read regularly from reefcentral... allot! I just don't post there anymore... Only so many forums a guy can participate in these days!

I don't see this as a rant at all. I am a member of Reef Central. I just don't post there much and there is good information there but like Jeremy said it is easier to google things and find articles. I think there is a larger group here that frequent reef2reef because it has a similar laid back style as this forum and I have met some awesome people there. There are also a lot of people on the nano reef which I have also heard good things about. I just don't have the time to be involved in every forum. Reef Central is just a little more serious for my style and though I have never received a warning, many other people I know have. I don't like the heavy handed moderation style they have over there but they are clearly doing something right with the huge following that that forum has..