Looking to buy Mopani Root

g2theram

I know I know this thread probably should be in the classified section maybe even the classified section outside of the salt section. The only problem is Micah informed me today that my account was deleted during a system crash DOH!. No big deal nothing really lost except for some clout and the ability to gain access to all areas of the forum. if it really bothers (threaten) the admin that i am post here you can let me know.

Now onto my main quest. I have put off the reef tank for the time being as i have just been swamped at work and had a hard time keeping it going. I have a sweet 93 gallon rimless cube that I still want to put together and i decided upon a cichlid tank again as this is where i first fell in love with the hobby 20 years ago. i have a design in mind and will need a good amount of the Mopani root and it is pretty hard to come by. Let me know what you have laying around I'll buy it. i figure al though we are all salt junkies on here that a few of you came from fresh and are ready to update your interior decorating and sell that sweet mantel piece.

Manzanita wood looks very similar and can be found pretty readily. You have to soak it for a while before it stops floating but it does work. It might be a good alternative if you can't find the Mopani root (had to google that one lol)

Good to know. Does it grow naturally in the northwest that you know of. I wouldn't mind harvesting some choice pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a native wood unfortunately' date=' but very commonly used for aquariums and for pet birds.[/quote']

Actually, I think it does grow locally. A few years ago I bought Manzanita bird perches for my African Grey and the woman I bought them from said she collected all the wood from the coast.

Or maybe from southern Oregon haha. I can't remember for sure, but I do know it came from Oregon.

Actually, I think it does grow locally. A few years ago I bought Manzanita bird perches for my African Grey and the woman I bought them from said she collected all the wood from the coast.

Or maybe from southern Oregon haha. I can't remember for sure, but I do know it came from Oregon.

Sweet, last time I bought it the tag said Thailand or something like that. Good to know it grows here too :)

Manzanita is a California thing, but it creeps into the Oregon area. I can connect you with this guy that sells and ships manzanita all over. Great prices and shipping is usually around 20-25 depending on size.

Additionally, there is the best hook up on the way to Newport. I don't know if the person is still there (he was selling his property the last time I was there), but on the Corvallis highway, about midway between Corvallis and Newport there is a house with a big sign that says "Exotic Wood Furniture." That guy sells awesome pieces of manzanita for really cheap. I've bought wood from him three times for my planted tanks. On a side note, his wood furniture is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Way out of my price range, but still great to look at.

Sweet, I will check that out next time I'm in the area.

One of my favorite shops is called "Its a burl" just into Oregon on the 199. Lots of cool stuff to check out. Sadly, some firends just stopped by and told me the owner had passed but his son was keeping it going. Cool two-three story tree houses you can climb in. Think some movies have shot some scenes there as well. Totally not touristy and recieved one of the best responses ever when I asked to climb the tree house: "At your own risk". Not enough of that in America anymore.

Tom Barr in California ships manzanita he has great prices and just let him know what you are looking for you can cfind it in a sticky at the top of his planted tank website under classifieds www.barrreport.com great wealth of information for freshwater fish as well. Here is a link to my cypress knee build and the method could be used for any type of wood that floats. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/#/forumsite/20495/topics/564154

Manzanita is a California thing, but it creeps into the Oregon area. I can connect you with this guy that sells and ships manzanita all over. Great prices and shipping is usually around 20-25 depending on size.

Additionally, there is the best hook up on the way to Newport. I don't know if the person is still there (he was selling his property the last time I was there), but on the Corvallis highway, about midway between Corvallis and Newport there is a house with a big sign that says "Exotic Wood Furniture." That guy sells awesome pieces of manzanita for really cheap. I've bought wood from him three times for my planted tanks. On a side note, his wood furniture is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Way out of my price range, but still great to look at.

So I found a guy on Facebook called amongst the woods llc. Is this the same guy you are referring to on the way to Newport?

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=130711920425781&_rdr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Barr is in California so its not him. He does freshwater mostly and is a great guy he sells via his website barrreport.com its a great resource for aquarium people a little bit of marine stuff but mostly freshwater fish topics but if you are not into collecting your own wood and I really suggest hitting up a resivoir now as the water levels are lowering and there will be tons of great pieces for only the price of gas and its good to pick what you want and have some extra for just in case. Go play at the water side while its still nice :-)