hair alga

lazerbeam

better perhaps to address the root cause of your alga bloom, rather than using animals as a band-aid...but certainly a multi-faceted approach is most effective. But be patient. Alga blooms are a result of excess dissolved nutrients in your water column. Minimize nutrient import, maximize nutrient export. I.e water changes, stop feeding, check your water source tds...I'm probably forgetting something too.

Guest Mbeef61

cooking rock is the best surefire way i think....other that that you really have to get AS MUCH OUT AS YOU CAN by hand. then take ALL precautions to stop it from continuing....ro/di water, skimmer, less light time, resins, overall detritus siphoning, and the natural consumers like snails, and my fav rabbitfish, and sea hares rock but you may need to take him out once problem is under control. hth

ps...chems should be a last resort

IMO removing the source of the hair algae's food is the key. "If you starve it, it will leave" ..Toss a bag of PhosGuard in the sump sock and get a phosphate reactor with Pura Phoslock media (or something of that equivalent). That's what I did when my phosphates flew through the roof last year, and it worked famously. I haven't had an issue since. (Kudos here to Patrick at Saltwater Fanta-Seas!) (clap)

I had off-the-charts phosphate levels. We put in a reactor similar to this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_filters_kent_marine_phos_reactor.asp?CartId=. I kept Pura Phoslock in it full-time, changing it regularly. (There are other brands you can use, but I've been told that these reactors are best with fine-grain products due to increased surface-area-per-granule; makes sense) It worked so well that I keep it in use full-time now. I haven't had any tank problems since. **knock on wood**

I also keep a small bag of PhosGuard in my sump sock all the time now, as well as reef carbon. I check stats regularly to make sure it doesn't leach out minerals, salt, etc, but I've never had a problem.:D Just my opinion...

Good luck!

Great advice holly! Sounds like stuff i hear Patrick say all the time lol!.

For sea hare's, i know we do it, other stores might, we have a trade in process, for "used" sea hares, where once they clean the tank clear they can bring back the gremlin and we will give have the price back lol. It works great and i have one on a 8th tank. He eats everything, except my bryopsis lol.

Basically gremlin(sea hare) recycling.

I had a sea hare once. Died after a few weeks. No idea why. Now that you mention it, mine never got near my powerheads that I know of either... Wonder why that is..? (scratch)

Can't say the same for a gorgeous 2" slug I got at FantaSeas. I put it in the middle of the tank and went into the kitchen for a few minutes. When I got back, it was sucked flat across the intake grill of my Tunze. It took less than 10min for that idiot slug to make a beeline for a far-away powerhead and committ Tunze suicide.(flame) Shoulda saved the trouble and just burned the $20.