I just have to brag a little about my new 300 gallon deep dimension starphire :)

jenna

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving crew huh? I know someone that could help with that.

Nice! Lol we might need some help with that. I think my hubby has a couple guys that may be able to help, but I just chewed out the wife on his biggest & strongest buddy so I'm not sure if she'll let him help now (wife). Haha

Oh here's another question! I've been doing a bunch of searching online for aquascaping ideas & I would love to know where I can find some real flat live and/or base rock to make platforms & overhangs. I have no idea how I'm gonna do it, but I really wanna try to do sort of a bonsai inspired theme! I have a few nice larger pieces already and one GREAT piece of rock that I know exactly what I'm gonna do with, but I just need to get my hands on some flat, thin rock! Thanks in advance! :)))

Here is something to shoot for. I'm sure Garret can help with the acrylic rods and building a nice structure.

15C6F49A-A310-45F1-B5EA-2866FAF191E6-1524-000001C009B9DC83.jpg

51A66C17-304C-4878-8421-3BC3A2D1B137-1524-000001C008FB6D6E.jpg

Yes that's a great example of what I'd like to go for. I think I want some larger overhangs though... I have one large (18+ lb) piece of interesting live rock that plates out and I really want that to be a centerpiece of the design. I sort of want the rock structure to have shelves if that makes sense...

You can just talk to wannareef and he can build you a custom sump to fit perfect under your stand.

+1 to that

+1 Charles is making my custom 80 gallon sump and my custom 250 gallon tank :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Charles built everything I have thats acrylic and is whomI went to when I decided against the 300DD

look no further IME.

I wonder if this thread can get 2400 views before a build is even started (scratch)

+1 to that

Charles built everything I have thats acrylic and is whomI went to when I decided against the 300DD

look no further IME.

I wonder if this thread can get 2400 views before a build is even started (scratch)

Yeah I may end up getting in touch with him! On Wednesday my stand & hood are coming in, and at that point we're going to figure out the logistics of using a 75 gallon glass tank. I think we'll know pretty fast if it's gonna happen or not...

And I know! 1400 views in a day ain't too shabby (laugh)

Just got done reading all 12 pages and wow I can't wait for the build thread and to see the tank. I just have a few inputs or suggestions if ur tank is longer than 6ft I recommend mp60 I have a 265 and I already have one mp60 and can't wait to get another but my tank is also 8ft long. I just think its better use to only have one of these beasts at each end cause they have to be strategically placed on the end of the tanks cause to high up they cause whirlpools and to low they really mess up your sand bed depending on how tall your tank is so I think if you can just get by with one on each end it's better that way IMO. I really like the design that you want to go with on your aquascaping but you said you want large overhangs not real sure on how large just remember the farther they stick out the more they will keep light from getting to the bottome end of your tank and I know some coral don't require a lot of light but if there is a lot of shaded areas it can kinda of hinder the places where you can put coral. But this was just some things I was thinking about but I'm really excited for you and your build Garret is an awesome dude he has helped me so much with my tank. And on a lighter note I have a purple tang and they are so awesome you will love it if you get one.

Hey thanks for your input! For now, I ordered two MP40's and I'll be using those along with my Koralias. I'm sure I'll have to play around with them a bit to try to get the best flow and prevent them from blasting the sand bed. As for the aquascaping, yea I would like to have several "shelves" higher up on which to grow sps and have a bit of shaded area underneath the rock for fish to swim through. I'd like to have a nice large open clean white sand bed. I think Garrett is going to find some nice large pieces of flat tonga rock for me :)

Oh wow thats a deep tank. and im sure it will look awesome and you will have plenty of swimming area with that big of a foot print for your tank get a ray or two i bought one off of garret over a month ago and he has gotten so big its crazy. and they are so awesome.

A ray!? LOL aren't they reef no-no's? I figured they'd at least eat all my snails and crabs lol. That WOULD be cool to have though, I'm jealous!

I have a blue spot and he doesn't bother my inverts at all and as far as I know they are reef safe I haven't started adding coral yet cause we're getting ready to move but ask garret for sure

That's very interesting! I'll have to do some research on that.

So an update on the build-

Looks like we're going to make some unexpected changes! The protein skimmer that we ordered (and came in today) is going to be too tall. Doh! So frustrating! So now Garrett is trying to figure out another option...possibly using 2 smaller skimmers? Idk... Frustrating because I was hoping for a more clutter-free look "under the hood" but oh well, we'll do what we have to do to make it work. It's annoying though! Serious design flaw IMO! Obviously a big tank is gonna need a big skimmer so why wouldn't they design a stand able to accommodate that? Sigh...

Also, a custom sump is gonna happen! Probably a footprint of about 48x30, custom with a refugium & live rock chamber & 2 filter socks.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to see a chiropractor later this week, but the stand and hood are in the house. Woot woot! It looks beautiful <3