I just have to brag a little about my new 300 gallon deep dimension starphire :)

jenna

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran across this skimmer the other day. Not sure if it would work for you but it is pretty slick how it comes apart.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/09/17/rlss-db10i-skimmer-saves-space-contact-time-integrated-volute/

Cool!! So... I wonder where I could find the size information on this. We need a skimmer that isn't taller than like 23 inches I think.... Also, can people even buy these yet or are they just coming out??

Cool!! So... I wonder where I could find the size information on this. We need a skimmer that isn't taller than like 23 inches I think.... Also, can people even buy these yet or are they just coming out??

Looks like it is just under 22" tall;

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/protein-skimmers/internal-skimmers/rlss/reef-life-support-systems-r10-i-protein-skimmer

On the skimmer IMO I would do an external SRO Reef Octopus HY5000 they are "quieter" after breakin, you can set it right next to the tank, even get fancy and build a "cover" for it that would double as an "tall end table of sorts" with a door for access. (even quieter) and IMHO/FMOE the tank will require a larger than "rated" skimmer.I'm using an SWC 250a (Askoll pump) and it does a good no real complaints, but somthing bigger would be helpfull. Im sorry if I sound negative all the time, I surly don't mean to. I'm just trying to help with the things I found out along the way that I wish someone would of clued me in on. I truly wish you the BEST of luck.

We ARE making progress :D Today we picked up 2 MP40's (we will probably end up buying a couple/few more- those things are amazing) and our skimmer was ordered. We ended up following Garrett's recommendation and went with a Reef Octopus Extreme XS250. It's rated to 250 gallons but he said it's hard working so it'll be fine with our tank. Especially because we're not planning on having a tremendous bioload. I'm also EXTREMELY happy that he found a sump for us! It's an acrylic that's measurements are *approx* (cuz I forgot the dimensions exactly) 48"x 17 3/4"x 28ish". We're gonna have to make a couple more baffles as soon as we know the appropriate water level for this skimmer we're getting... But yea! It needs to be scrubbed clean but I'll post pics soon =D =D

that is so ironic that it just so happens to be you cause i told you that i started with a 125 and went to a 265 and you were like well were just going to stay at a 90gal for awhile and i said thats what everyone says lol im so happy that you have decided to go with a big tank. and me personally i think a bigger tank is easier just because if something goes wrong you have a bigger body of water and it wont hurt ur system as much as to say like a 55gal. but just wait i found a 950gal tank the other day and if i had the spot to put it up i would have already bought it lol

950!! LOL now THAT Is crazy big for a house... you could practically start charging admission to see it (laugh) I'm sure it would be amazing though :) Yeaaah I think at that point when I talked to you I was still in denial that I was gonna wanna go bigger...but here we are! :)

lol yeah its crazy and im thinking of trying to maybe put it in my apartment that im moving into next week but i dont go until monday to see it for the first time so im for sure taking a tap measure cause my wife is totally down for it as well might have to just do without some furniture in the living room haha