I have a problem and need some advice

Jay

Hello everyone:

Heres the problem. I am moveing into a new house,well new to me. I am haveing it completly remodled with new cabnets windows excetra. I am having pergo laminate flor installed in the liveingroom/dining room. I am also getting a new 120 gallon cube tank to use as a room devider between the dining room and livingroom. I am worried about a water spill. Has anyone had a spill on this pergo type flooring? Is there a alarm that will alert me in case of a spill while I am sleeping? Some kind of a alarm that will sound if there is a water spill? What do I put under the stand? How can I clean any water under the stand if there is a spill?

I am going to have 2 complete reef tank systems for sale after this month. Anyone know someone wanting to get into the hobby? I have refugium, lights, tanks and stands. both are 55 gallon.

Thanks everyone for their advice

Jay

This new tank will have a center stand overflow. Does anyone have any pictures of their aquascape in a tank like this? Any good ideas for aquascapeing one like this? All suggestions are welcome

I've had pergo for 6 years and I have spilled plenty of s/w on the floor. as long as it doesn't sty wet for long durations, you'll be fine. I use nothing between stand/floor.

If you have a overnight flood, and you don't catch it in about an hour or 2, you will get some warping.

the great thing about pergo is that it WAY easier to replace than regular hardwoods.

Just use redundancy when planning the sump/overflow, and you shouldn't have any floods.

I agree with ReefHut.

I was planning for no flood/spills after carefully setting things up as slowly as I could. The first thing I did though was to tile the floor "just in case".

I have flooded about 5 times (3 pretty big ones) now in about 4 months each time was a different and unexpected problem.. It was more expensive up front but I am glad I had tile. I can't imagine the cost of changing carpet or vinyl plus the mess!

Yeah there is one' date=' it's generic name is: the wife :)[/quote']

TOOOO funny(wife) Yup, been my alarm several times!!! My 2 tanks are on Pergo. I have hard 1/2 inch building foam under each one. Distributes the weight over the floor more evenly. Raises the tanks just a little, but water is not getting under it with spills ;) And you can count on it happening sooner than later and it will happen(nono)

Tile the area, or at least throw down some old lenolium under the tank cabinet where you can't see it, its better to be safe then sorry. Sometimes a leak will start and you won't know about it for a week or longer, how are you going to dry under the cabinet? Tile is optimal, my next house will have a tiled are over the hardwood for the tank.

i know coralife makes one work prety well but to tell you the truth i wouldnt even mess wth tile or pergo i would get a acrylic tank really thin i call it a stand saver and then put tile or blocks of wood to raise the stand up on so that if you do spill it will go into that container and you can just suck it up with a wetdry vac and get all the water or i have seen people put them under there sumps like a outer cover. also a major major thing to buy and will nto cost you much is a skimate container it would have saved stevewest tank, mine and other since once it fills the skimmer cant take anymore water out.

here the one im buying http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TS-TSW6&Category_Code=Trigger it will never over flow and holds alot. if it was possible i would never have my cup drain its really asking for trouble ie stevewest , me and many others. btw its cheap compared to PM and the products or awesome quality.