75 gal build NOOB

YUP

Well here i go on my build(yahoo) sorry (jmetz32):( your tank is nice..

As some of ya might know, i am a freshwater guy who decided to go salt... Why? i dont know? my African Cichlids were very pretty and very temperamental... Maybe i wanted critters; e.g. things my cichlids would kill in a heartbeat like hermits or tube worms, y'all know what im talking about... More than just fish, a whole ecosystem(agree)...

Anyways enough typing:)... So if you read my NOOB thread you will know that i was contemplating this..

75 gallon glass aquarium with Internal Overflow

Glass tops

Cherry Cabinet

Power compact lighting with LED night lights

Skimmer

Pump

Pacific Imports CL300 Chiller

38 gallon refugium tank

100+ pounds live rock

Plumbed with PVC piping

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tank... still need more cleaning... standard aqueon 75 gal tank with 1" drain and 3/4" return...

[ATTACH]12956[/ATTACH]

Chiller dont know if i need yet... its, well you can see from the pic its a local company:), dont know if i need it just yet... oh, looks better than the pic, its from my phone and havent cleaned it off, very dusty..

[ATTACH]12957[/ATTACH]

post-8905-141867762265_thumb.jpg

post-8905-141867762268_thumb.jpg

Well here i go on my build(yahoo) sorry (jmetz32):( your tank is nice..

As some of ya might know, i am a freshwater guy who decided to go salt... Why? i dont know? my African Cichlids were very pretty and very temperamental... Maybe i wanted critters; e.g. things my cichlids would kill in a heartbeat like hermits or tube worms, y'all know what im talking about... More than just fish, a whole ecosystem(agree)...

Anyways enough typing:)... So if you read my NOOB thread you will know that i was contemplating this..

75 gallon glass aquarium with Internal Overflow

Glass tops

Cherry Cabinet

Power compact lighting with LED night lights

Skimmer

Pump

Pacific Imports CL300 Chiller

38 gallon refugium tank

100+ pounds live rock

Plumbed with PVC piping

Start of a nice set-up. Keep the chiller just in case, it's better to have it than having to go out and buy another one DOH! No heaters for those cold days and nights? Got central heat and cooling for the house?

You have a great guy in your neighborhood in the way of Garrett @ the Premium Aquarium very knowledgeable and can order in just about anything you could possible want for the new tank.

More pics with water in the tank and don't forget, go slow and read up

good reefing

Ya, Im trying to make time tomorrow to go to The premium Aquarium. NEED DIY sump help, I bought a new 38 gal reg. tank for sump/refug (trying to figure out sump-return-refug).... The 38 gallon refugium tank the CL seller was stating is wrong(flame) its a 29 gal. reg, but no worries didnt want it anyways(going to give it away for free). Anyways more stuff i got for $300

[ATTACH]12958[/ATTACH] old school bullet PM with gx 2400 pump... I ordered a new 6" octopus skimmer. This PM could be a backup skimmer, I have read really good things about PM skimmers..

also got a RIO 2100 pump that he used as a return... I havent opened up the GX pump, but i opened up the rio and it look good...

post-8905-141867762271_thumb.jpg

Need some more help, i have tried everything but actually chemicals to get rid of the bit of calcium buildup on the glass.

[ATTACH]12966[/ATTACH]

Also, on my rock that i got with the tank, the dead coral you see...

[ATTACH]12967[/ATTACH]

Razor coral im assuming and there is some polyps on other rocks, is it ok in the tank or should i chip it off? Dont see the reason too, but want some expert opinions...

post-8905-141867762276_thumb.jpg

post-8905-141867762279_thumb.jpg

(sad)I did and most came off, but for some reason cant get the rest off, i dont think its etched in, but might be.. As a Cichlid owner for years, i know that a little bit of calcium you wont see when there is water in the tank, but as the tank is empty, i wanted to see if i could get it all off. I even tried razor blade, everything but a chemical. I can feel it, but fear its just etched in...

If you are really brave, you can try Muriatic acid that you can buy at Home Depot. This is not for the light-hearted. It can be dangerous if not done correctly. PM me if you want more directions. Otherwise, lay the tank on it's side and use a lot of vinegar and let it sit overnight. Repeat with the other sides.

But in all honesty, once you have water in there, the coraline algae will grow on the sides and you won't notice a little more calcium. It is a never ending battle with coraline algae.

Good luck

dsoz

Need some more help, i have tried everything but actually chemicals to get rid of the bit of calcium buildup on the glass.

[ATTACH]12966[/ATTACH]

Also, on my rock that i got with the tank, the dead coral you see...

[ATTACH]12967[/ATTACH]

Razor coral im assuming and there is some polyps on other rocks, is it ok in the tank or should i chip it off? Dont see the reason too, but want some expert opinions...

I have always used vinegar so I'm no help here. But I am confused about the second part. Are you talking about removing the coral skeletons from the dry rock or do you have some live coral polyp's that your worried about? If its just the skeletons I would leave them and let some new corals grow over them. Dead coral = Live rock :)

Dsoz, i think im going to just leave it, when there is water in the tank i dont think i will see it anyways.

Derbird, ya its just some skeletons, i figured that they would be alright and they look cool, especially the razor coral that shaped like a sharp sand dollar. Alot of my rock however looks bleached from the dead coral, any concern there? I rinsed it really well, but I didnt go crazy with a brush or anything...

Thanks

Dsoz, i think im going to just leave it, when there is water in the tank i dont think i will see it anyways.

Derbird, ya its just some skeletons, i figured that they would be alright and they look cool, especially the razor coral that shaped like a sharp sand dollar. Alot of my rock however looks bleached from the dead coral, any concern there? I rinsed it really well, but I didnt go crazy with a brush or anything...

Thanks

There shouln't be a problem. All the dead corals I have seen look really white. They will color up pretty quick in the reef.

Here is a picture of a zoa rock I have. They are growing on an old coral (not mine) and I love the way it looks :)

100_0056.jpg

• 2 months later...

thanks noob, how did you do that?

Ya garrett, my plan is to be able to keep a sustainable amphipod production and macro algae. You can see by the sand that i actually have a bit of flow running thru it ( the sand was lvl).

The only thing i would of done diff. is get rid of stupid ball valve and put a true union valve like what i have going from return to tank. Those ball valves are just plain to hard to adjust...

Those pieces of live rock came from Dsoz with feather worms and some polyps.

i am also running at almost full throttle a rio 3100 pump.

Wish i put them on my plumbingtoo but im cheap but its well done gj, maybe try a 90 at return into refugium tp hopefully eliminate sand be kicked. You planning mixed reef? Anything specific you looking to collect/like, ehat lighting are ypu using? And you can post pics like that via photobucket

Wish i put them on my plumbingtoo but im cheap but its well done gj' date=' maybe try a 90 at return into refugium tp hopefully eliminate sand be kicked. You planning mixed reef? Anything specific you looking to collect/like, ehat lighting are ypu using? And you can post pics like that via photobucket[/quote']

ya i thought of doing a 90 for the fug. i probably will, but need to get some macro in there to see what it does. I want to mainly do LPS corals and softies as i like movement. My light is a finnex led/t5 lighting fixture. As for the pics, i used photobucket but didnt realize i could have them post like that, need to fiddle with photobucket.

how did you do that?

With photobucket its pretty easy. When you are looking at the picture just copy the DSCN2091_zps4977831f.jpg

Your tank is coming along nicely. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it :)

I really like all the caves and tunnels, lots of hiding spaces for your critters

Yeah' date=' take the star out imo or can become pest.[/quote']

i was wondering that, from the info i have read they said that if you see them on any coral then get them out asap. But they can also be beneficial, so i will wait and see if they are naughty or nice:)

i was wondering that' date=' from the info i have read they said that if you see them on any coral then get them out asap. But they can also be beneficial, so i will wait and see if they are naughty or nice:)[/quote']

I have tan colored ones in both my tanks, never had an issue in several years. If they concern you, there are shrimp that will eat them.

They split rapidly and take over. Only the black ones eat coral from my readings

Take over is not the term i'd use. They do split and survive only being a single leg and such, but I've always had them and I wouldn't say that they have ever reached "excessive amounts." Realistically, I see maybe 3-5 on my glass on my 90 gallon and rarely see them on rocks/corals.